Re: Q 200 Temp

TOM BAUER

TVWBB Pro
Tried to measure it on the grate a little later on and it registered 500+. This is hot enough to initially sear, but would a 1" steak act like a heat sink and suck the heat out of the grill? Next time I cook one, I will try to get a temp reading. Thanks all for the imput..

Tom
The Q gives great searing - refer to photos in other posts. A 1" steak will act like a heatsink to a certain degree but if you do 6 it will reduce the lid temp down to about 350.
Don't forget that there is a difference between lid temp and grate temp.
For 6 steaks preheat for 15 minutes and then cook, you will get great sear marks on the presentation side, searing will not be as strong un the underside bit will still give a good flavour.

Cheers,

I picked up some marked-down tenderloin steaks at Sam's Club last weekend, and on Wednesday of this week, I dressed them up with Anne Burrell's steak rub and got ready to cook them over charcoal - I was going to sear on my Smokey Joe, them move them to a low fire in my Performer to finish.

However, we had a line of rain showers move in just as I was getting ready to light the fire. My Q220 is in an area were I can cook outside but under shelter so I changed my plans.

I let the thermometer on the dome get up near 500 and stay there for a few mintues before I put the steaks on. I put them down and let them sear for 2 minutes a side. Just like Phil said, the first sear (presentation side) was freaking georgeous. The second side didn't have as distinct sear marks, but the carmelization of the spices on that side was very good.

I turned the temp way down, put the steaks on a wire grate on top of some foil on the other side of the grill and let them finish indirect for about another 10 minutes. Perfect medium rare and the entire family raved about the flavor - of tenderloin, which is very tender but typically not the most flavorful cut.

I am growing to apprecite the Weber Q more and more each time I use it, and I find at least one night a week to cook on it.

I have a Char - Q that isn't out of the box yet that I need to get into the rotation as well.

What were we talking about? Oh yes, sear and grill marks - the Q 220 give about the best grill marks on the 1st side I've seen, and if you can turn and move to a previously unused part of the grill instead of flipping and returning to the same spot where the meat was resting initially, you can get those nice pretty marks on both sides!

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
I picked up some marked-down tenderloin steaks at Sam's Club last weekend, and on Wednesday of this week, I dressed them up with Anne Burrell's steak rub and got ready to cook them over charcoal - I was going to sear on my Smokey Joe, them move them to a low fire in my Performer to finish.

However, we had a line of rain showers move in just as I was getting ready to light the fire. My Q220 is in an area were I can cook outside but under shelter so I changed my plans.

I let the thermometer on the dome get up near 500 and stay there for a few mintues before I put the steaks on. I put them down and let them sear for 2 minutes a side. Just like Phil said, the first sear (presentation side) was freaking georgeous. The second side didn't have as distinct sear marks, but the carmelization of the spices on that side was very good.

I turned the temp way down, put the steaks on a wire grate on top of some foil on the other side of the grill and let them finish indirect for about another 10 minutes. Perfect medium rare and the entire family raved about the flavor - of tenderloin, which is very tender but typically not the most flavorful cut.

I am growing to apprecite the Weber Q more and more each time I use it, and I find at least one night a week to cook on it.

I have a Char - Q that isn't out of the box yet that I need to get into the rotation as well.

What were we talking about? Oh yes, sear and grill marks - the Q 220 give about the best grill marks on the 1st side I've seen, and if you can turn and move to a previously unused part of the grill instead of flipping and returning to the same spot where the meat was resting initially, you can get those nice pretty marks on both sides!

----Thinking of buying a Q220 or 320; how easy to clean??

Richard

WSM, OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard -

On my 220, I brush and oil the cast iron grate after each cook and it is now getting nicely seasoned and non-stick after a half dozen or so cooks. I line the drip pan with foil to help with the clean up of that part. Toughest part to clean is under the burner. I've been wiping that down with a industrial strength paper towel after about every second cook, but I haven't yet done a thorough clean of that part of the grill.

It's not going to be the easiest thing to clean because of the burner being in the way, but I'm thinking some hot soapy water will do a nice job.

Phil probably has a much better idea of how to do that than I do.

Pat

To do a thorough clean is not difficult but can become a bit of a chore. I find that the hardest thing to clean with the Q series is the underside of the grill grate, it gets greasy & grimy and sometimes you've just gotta scrape stuff off with a flat screwdriver or something like that.The underside of the cooking grate had channels for strengthening purposes and that's where the grime wants to sit..right up in the grooves.
As for the inside of the body, after taking off the cooking grate, i'd scrape the loose stuff inside the bowl with an el-cheapo soft plastic spatula and direct it towards the hole in the bottom and what i can't get out, I'll give it a good blast with my high pressure water cleaner (a high pressure garden hose nozzle should work as well).
The blast of the high pressure water won't hurt it. On the greasy bits I'll treat with a degreaser and let it sit for an hour then give it a water blast. Tip the whole unit upside down to let any water run out of the tube and when the inside has dried a bit, I reconnect to the gas and light it up to burn any moisture in the tubes and wait till all the tube has lit then it's right to go.Don't worry if all the tube doesn't light up straight away as it will eventually as it clears.
Sounds rough & ready but that's the way I've been cleaning mine every 3 months for the past 3 years and it hasn't failed me yet.
I'm referring to my little Q120 and have just bought a Q220 last week and it'll get the same cleaning treatment....won't hurt 'em just make sure when you're washing them, put it on a good grassy area so you won't chip paint on the pavement as well as oily marks.
After a fair bit of use, there isn't anything you can really do about the blackening on the inside of the hood, it seems to have impregnated into the Cast aluminium lid as it's not painted on the inside.It's good sometimes to take out the little split pins and dowels and give them a good wash in kerosene or petroleum so as to degrease them as they do get very greasy.

Hope this helps...go and buy a cheap high pressure water cleaner(if you don't have one) to clean up your BBQs,car etc, great investment.
K'archer, Gerni, Mccullock ...they are all good brands.About 1500 PSI is all you need.

Cheers

Davo

Richard
Cleaning the Q is a breeze. After every cook turn it up to high for 2 minutes then brush the grill with a good quality stiff brass brush - I use the Weber triangular brass brush. Wipe the inside of the lid with a damp cloth. Check/empty the drip pan if you line it with foil - All done
Every month to 3 months depending on use whilst the Q is cold remove the grill, scrape the bottom of the grill with a plastic spatula and check to see how dirty it is. Wash the lid, grill and bottom with warm soapy water, replace the drip tray as required. Cleaning time generally 15 minutes. Every 6 months. Give a good clean with the high pressure hose. When I do this I generally spray the inside of the lid with oven cleaner. I just let it soak on the inside of the lid and then wash it off. I don't scrub it of because it softens the powder coating. I tip it upside down to drain any water out of the burner tube and then brush the burner tube to make sure all the holes are clear and open. I then reassemble the Q and turn it on to dry everything. Once it is warm I spray the grill with cooking oil and then let the grill cool.

My Q220 is 5 years old and still going strong. The general day to day cleaning is a so simple and I generally complete it before I take the food inside.

Hope this helps.

Back