binder questions

jim_b

Is there much of a difference between the soy protien , low fat dry milk and the " special binder " . From what I have read , none of them are supposed to leave a taste . Does any of the three do a much better or much worse job?

It's all relative. I prefer milk over soy. It's cheaper and I don't use much. (I don't often add binders to sausage in the first place.)

Special costs more but you don't use as much at all so might well be cheaper. I am not a fan of adding phosphates so I don't use it. If you don't care or haven't tried it give it a shot.

No, none should leave a taste. Phosphates can if the ratio is too high (it's kind of a soapy flavor) but Special should not be used in that sort of quantity in the first place.

Special should not be used in that sort of quantity in the first place.

I have not got into binders yet, but for curiosity's sake, am I correct in assuming there is a product called "special binder" that contains a percentage of phosphates?

From what I understand, the phosphates have a much greater binding power than dry milk and therefore much less can be used. I was reading about making emulsified sausages and the differences in the quantities needed was pretty big.

Yes, there is a product containing substantial phosphates. And yes, much less can be used.

Kevin , how do you determine if binder is needed at all ( just look at the post count , it will explain all the "obvious" questions) I would hate to start a recipe and once into the middle of it find I need something I dont have.Thanks

Kevin , how do you determine if binder is needed at all ( just look at the post count , it will explain all the "obvious" questions) I would hate to start a recipe and once into the middle of it find I need something I dont have.Thanks

I won't speak for Kevin (he does mention above that he rarely uses a binder) but I can tell you that I have slowly evolved my technique for two years and I have yet to use a binder. Early on, I struggled with texture issues, but have pretty much resolved them with technique. My guess is that I could achieve a more "professional" sausage with the inclusion of a binder, but I'm pretty impressed with what I got now and like the fact that it has a slight "homemade" feel to it, if you get me. A binder might also give me some room for error if my technique is sloppy (or I'm in a rush), but for now I'm learning and I like to know what works and doesn't.

If your just starting out, try some simple recipes and work on the basic ratios (meat, fat, salt, water) and grinding, mixing, stuffing.

I use a binder infrequently for the same reason j notes: I don't find the need. If developing a recipe, they are most helpful when a protein boost is needed as it's this that best offers binding characteristics.

Back