WSM 22.5"- Thermometer Condensation

Mike Mc

TVWBB Member
Did a forum search and didn't see a topic that specifically addressed this...
I bought my 22.5" around April 09. Started noticing condensation in the thermometer almost immediately. Called Weber a month ago on a Sunday evening and received a new one on Thursday. Great customer service experience. The lady I spoke with (from Wisconsin?) said "nope" that wasn't normal. Anyway, I am on the second one and I now have the same exact problem except this one also has a bent needle that rubs the dial. It sticks and jumps close to the correct temperature if you thump it. Anyone else have this problem? I am going to call again for another replacement.
Picture of the old thermomenter:
WSM_thermometer.jpg

I have the same problem. I didn't know what to do about it - thanks! Mine isn't sticking yet, but the condensate is there for sure.

I beieve I started a thread sometime ago about condensation in my new thermometer that I had installled on my WSM.

Some times if I don't use my WSM for a while when I first start to use it (put the lid on), I will get some condensation on the inside of the glass, it only last for a little while and then it goes away.

I was told by others that a little condensation, (that goes away in a little while), once in a while is normal for most thermometers.

Mine is not a new 22 in model as yours.

Does your condensation go away at some point or does it stay ?

I did wait a few months to see if it would go away. It didnt. It actually got worse. That is why I called. They were extremely nice and sent a replacement the same week. I have no complaints about customer service.

when i designed that, we put in a weep hole -a small hole on the back side to allow water to come in and out. did they change that?

Mike

There is a small hole on the back. But if it relies on gravity its too high up to actually be a drain?
Picture of the one in my previous post- back:
IMG_0735.JPG

Guys,
Every Bi-Metal dial thermometer I own gets some amount of condensation some times. I've never really had issue with this. I even have one therm that fills half way with water if I leave it out in the rain. (by accident). I just take a syringe with a fine needle and stick it in the weep hole to draw out the water. Good to go. You could probably acquire one from a diabetic friend.

Of greater concern to me is the lack of a calibration screw on the back. Has anyone figured a way calibrate the stock thermometer?

Brett

Back