Want to change up my 'Butt' recipe

Jim Smithson

TVWBB Fan
I have typically used the Mr. Brown type of Butt recipe. Using Southern Succor type rub. Quite strong, spicy and very good.

I recent had some pulled pork that was different but very good. It had more of the meat taste and less of the rub.

Of course I can use less rub but was curious if others have tried recipes that bring more pork flavor and less rub flavor?

thx

An easy change you can make to Mr.Brown is sub half or more of the paprika with your own fresh ground mild chiles like ancho, guajillo, mild new mexico reds or a mixture.

This past weekend I did just that and added a bunch of toasted fresh ground corriander to the Mr.Brown recipe. When it was done I ran it through a blender until it was all a fine powder then lightly spinkled it on. I used much less than usual but the smaller amount had more flavor.

With about 3 hours left to cook I mixed up a couple of TBSP of cider vinegar and worcestershire sauce with enough of my rub and some added cinnamon to make a thin paste and brushed it on to the butts. Same idea as the southern sop only skipping the mopping part and getting straight to the useful part.

Another thing to do is pick up Raichlen's Rubs Sauces and Marinades book (or similar) and just start going through it ... try any of them that appeal to you and even some that don't (you might be suprised).

After it was all pulled I mixed it well and no, I didn't think it was overpowered. It less gritty/pasty due to bland rub, not so peppery (I omitted the cayenne due to chiles) but a little of more flavorful rub and I could still taste the pork quite well. I though it was excellent.

Back