A Bresaola in progress...

Marc

TVWBB All-Star
Started a Bresaola a few weeks ago... Just a couple of "working" photos as it goes.
Untrimmed Eye of Round
24209_1410357947680_1494430294_1042840_1266496_n.jpg

Trimmed. Should not of cut off that end but I was hungry!
24209_1410356187636_1494430294_1042837_604860_n.jpg

The cure... lousy picture. Wasn't thinking "photo op".
24209_1410357907679_1494430294_1042839_1464247_n.jpg

At the halfway point of the cure... added a bit of fresh thyme.
24209_1410368387941_1494430294_1042866_4285969_n.jpg

Time to case and tie...
24889_1402886160890_1494430294_1026307_6422542_n.jpg

Little spray with the mold inoculate and thirty-six hours hanging out @75 degrees/ 80% humidity.
24889_1402886200891_1494430294_1026308_6066711_n.jpg

So after one week...
24209_1409411964031_1494430294_1041091_5167449_n.jpg

Weeks to go. Looking for thirty-five to forty percent weight loss...
24209_1409412044033_1494430294_1041092_4342138_n.jpg

We will see....

Oh man, where to start! Bresaola is my absolute favorite, unfortunately I can't source it locally, and the good stuff in nyc cost over $20/lb. I'm currently playing around with dry curing, I've done some pancetta and guanciale, basically working up to bresaola. I'm also working on sourcing the meat, because I figure if I'm going to spend the time, I'm going to want to work with top quality meat.

so, if you don't mind, a few questions:

1)are you using supermarket eye round
2)how did you go about getting the eye round in the casing? I tried to case a coppa and ended up spilting the casing and rolling it around it
3)what do you use for a curing chamber?
4)how do you like the tojiro gyuto? I have a santoku and think its an amazing knife for the price.

btw, great photos!

Great pics...would love to hear your process (J's questions are good). Dry curing solid muscle is on my to-do list this year.

I also was curious how you powered the comp fan that's in the "fermentation chamber" (oven?). I scavenged a couple out of old computers and was thinking of using them in my curing cabinet (if I ever build it). I'm not great with electronics and need an explanation on how to match a power source with an appliance (I have a guess).

as for curing chambers, I'm considering something like this since my basement is generally below 60*f most of the year.

j...
1) The EOR was a CAB but yes, supermarket... Wanted to practice ($2.99lb) before the "real ($7.99+lb) thing"!

2) Actually, it was pretty easy. It was a 90mm collagen that I soaked for a few minutes in warm water. Softened up nice. I rolled one end over itself and fitted the tapered end of the meat in. From there it was just a bit of tugging. The hard part was tying the ends tight against the meat. That took a bit of effort. I actually ended up using a couple of nylon wire ties to hold the ends as I worked the string. The other think was getting the air pockets worked out. I used a really small needle (probably too small) and it was almost like the collagen was self sealing the tiny holes as fast as I made them!

3) Ah, the curing chamber... Should of started this adventure about five weeks earlier. Up until a couple of weeks ago my basement was a steady 58 to 60 degrees. Having had success with hanging saucisson of pork tenderloin and pancetta, I figured I'd be good to go. Now some days it's a few degrees warmer (max 64-65). Warmer then I'd like. I'm either going to have to build a curing cabinet or postpone further curing until fall. My set up for controlling the humidity is pretty similar to the one you linked. In the bottom is a couple inches of salted water but over that I've a computer fan suspended blowing straight down on the surface of the water. By experimenting with different speeds on the fan it holds steady around seventy-five percent humidity and I have a nice gentle constant air flow. I'll try to post a picture when I can.

4) The Tojiro gyuto DP 210mm: I love it! I don't have a lot of experience with higher end knifes but it's dream to me and it is without question one of the best $80 I've ever spent. I've a couple of Wusthofs (chef and a santoku classics) and they haven't been on the counter since the Tojiro.

I love computer fans. Use them in the refrigerator for drying poultry skin, salmon, etc. Powering the fan: There should be a sticker on the fan that lists it's voltage. Most likely it's 12 volts dc but some are 5 volts. I'm using an AC adapter that I scavenged from a cordless phone. I've a box of them saved over the years of different voltages and current ratings so I can match something to my needs. I just cut the plugs off both the fan and the AC adapter and spliced them together. You can certainly be more elegant about it with plugs and what not. The only thing it be aware of is the polarity when connecting them. Most fans will simple not run if the polarity is wrong. Reverse the wires and your good to go. If you don't have a suitable adapter lying about something like this would work. It outputs at several different voltages so it's versatile. I actually run a12 volt fan at 7.5 volts to reduce it's speed in the curing chamber.

G, "Dry curing solid muscle is on my to-do list this year." This is only my fifth attempt, but I'm loving it and so far still alive.
icon_biggrin.gif
We'll see how the rest of the bresaola adventure goes. Either way, I'll post an update... hopefully.
icon_wink.gif

Great stuff Marc.

I rated this post so it won't be deleted, but I fear it will become lost. These cured meats really don't fit in any of the forum categories. I've seen them in Barbecuing and in Recipes, but neither is a perfect fit. Maybe Chris can add a Charcuterie forum to cover cured meats and homemade sausage.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Maybe Chris can add a Charcuterie forum to cover cured meats and homemade sausage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second that.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">4) The Tojiro gyuto DP 210mm: I love it! I don't have a lot of experience with higher end knifes but it's dream to me and it is without question one of the best $80 I've ever spent. I've a couple of Wusthofs (chef and a santoku classics) and they haven't been on the counter since the Tojiro. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe the jacketed steel provides for a harder core. I find it easy to sharpen and it holds a great edge.

If you check out korin, the other I like is the togiharu hammered damascus. Similar to the togiro, it seems to have a harder edge.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Powering the fan: There should be a sticker on the fan that lists it's voltage. Most likely it's 12 volts dc but some are 5 volts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

any chance I could build a solar unit to power the fan? I was thinking of making a solar drying box out of plexiglass and thought a installed solar powered fan would be really cool.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you check out korin, the other I like is the togiharu hammered damascus. Similar to the togiro, it seems to have a harder edge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I actually considered one but I decided to wait until my knife skills (both use and maintenance) ascend the ladder another rung or two! <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">any chance I could build a solar unit to power the fan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Absolutely! One option would be that the fan only runs with sufficient light and a second would incorporate a battery with the solar cells constantly keeping the battery charged. By "Solar Drying Box" I'm assuming you talking a dehydrator of sorts?

The bresaola (hanging for seventeen days now) has lost almost 35% of its weight. This all despite a 70% - 80% humidity level, the casing and the bountiful (good) mold coverage. I'm guessing two factors: The constant air movement and the higher (62-64 degree) then ideal (58deg.) temperatures. Thinking there might very well be a conclusion (of some sort) for this project in the next few days.
Someone brought be what I thought was going to be my curing fridge until I looked inside and saw the shelves were actually part of the cooling tubes and were not removable.
icon_mad.gif

Just started two lonzinos & four saucissons this AM and now they don't have a home! The saucission will probably be fine in the basement and I have a couple weeks before I have to worry about hanging the lonzino.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I actually considered one but I decided to wait until my knife skills (both use and maintenance) ascend the ladder another rung or two! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

check out the edge pro apex. the tojiro sharpens up amazingly well on it in a matter of minutes. IMO, a good sharpening system is equal to or more important than than your actual knives.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm assuming you talking a dehydrator of sorts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah for tomatoes and other fruit

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm guessing two factors:The constant air movement and the higher (62-64 degree) then ideal (58deg.) temperatures. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my guess is the fan. I dont see them used much, and if they are they are usally hooked up to a pid controller so they only run when something else temp related is too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Maybe Chris can add a Charcuterie forum to cover cured meats and homemade sausage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second that.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Add me to the list.
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Add me to the list. Cool </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you're the diamond member, got any pull with Chris?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Add me to the list. Cool </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you're the diamond member, got any pull with Chris? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL !! It gets worse with rank, sooooooo ... NO!
icon_razz.gif

Seriously, I've perused some other boards that include sausage or charcuterie and the best formats, in my opinion, include both a discussion forum AND a recipe forum. That would be a lot of work for Chris being as he'd have to go back through all the recipe posts AND discussion posts and move them to the new two forums. THEN, maintain them along with all the rest. Personally, I'd be in them every day! Whereas, I never go in the Favorite BBQ restaurants, Weber Q or Portable Grill forums but then, everyone has their preferences. I hope he adds them though!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Seriously, I've perused some other boards that include sausage or charcuterie and the best formats, in my opinion, include both a discussion forum AND a recipe forum. That would be a lot of work for Chris being as he'd have to go back through all the recipe posts AND discussion posts and move them to the new two forums. THEN, maintain them along with all the rest. Personally, I'd be in them every day! Whereas, I never go in the Favorite BBQ restaurants, Weber Q or Portable Grill forums but then, everyone has their preferences. I hope he adds them though!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! Cool </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's what I was thinking...major pita.

maybe interested parties could do some independent searches and send related threads to Chris for his consideration for inclusion to the new forum.

I haven't perused many other forums. rarely are they as organized as this one is and they usually lose my attention fairly quickly.

Back