Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
12-20lb Fresh Turkey (not self basting)

Brine
3 Cups Non Iodized Table Salt
1 Cup White Sugar
3 Gallons Water
Herbs may be added if desired

*This recipe can be cut by 1/3 and used as an injection if time is short. Inject the turkey an hour or so before you're ready to cook.

In a 5 gallon food grade bucket or similar vessel, mix salt and sugar in 1 gallon of hot water until dissolved, then add 2 remaining cold gallons of water and mix thoroughly.

Remove giblets, turkey neck and either the metal or plastic struss. Add turkey to vessel and make sure the entire turkey is submerged. Let brine 8-12 hours or overnight in the fridge.

Remove turkey from brine, pat dry and place on the smoker while it's still ice cold. You can rinse prior to smoking, but I don't. Smoke using a wood of your choice, I use hickory or apple, separately. Smoke in the 245º-260º range until the breast reads 160º and the thighs are at least 170º.

Wrap the turkey with foil and let rest 30 minutes - 1 hour on the counter before slicing.

IMG_9555.jpg
IMG_9568.jpg

I might give this a shot this weekend. Any pointers on how long it might take per pound? Also, what herbs if any do you use?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt B.:
I might give this a shot this weekend. Any pointers on how long it might take per pound? Also, what herbs if any do you use? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Generally a 15lb turkey will take around 4.5-5 hours. That works out to be around 18-20 minutes per lb.

I don't usually add any herbs, but you could add one of my favorites with turkey, Sage! Couple minced cloves of garlic won't hurt a thing either.

Looks great Larry!

When I cook a turkey like that, I save (freeze) the wing parts to use later in soups or with a batch of collards. They add a wonderful flavor. And seeing your pictures reminds me that I need to smoke a turkey again soon.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:
Looks great Larry!

When I cook a turkey like that, I save (freeze) the wing parts to use later in soups or with a batch of collards. They add a wonderful flavor. And seeing your pictures reminds me that I need to smoke a turkey again soon.

Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ray, great minds think alike!! Leftover Smoked Turkey Wings and Piquinto Beans

I still have a couple vacuum bags in the freezer and it's almost soup weather!!!

Brined and smoked my first turkey breast earlier this week. I used apple juice instead of just plain water and brined for about 5 hours. The turkey was real moist with great flavor. Also used the drippings and broth I used to baste to make a gravy. The gravy was a little too overpowering with smoke flavor. Next time I'll cut back on the stuff in the pan and use some fresh broth. Should be perfect next time. This is the first time I brined anything but won't be the last.

You might make an herb "tea" with the water you are using on your brine. I like marjoram, thyme and sage for turkey with 4-5 SMASHED (let them sit on the cutting board to develop all that yummy allycin) cloves of garlic.

Does wrapping in foil make skin go soft? I'm doing my first turkey on thanksgiving and wondering to wrap it after or just let sit?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne_R:
Does wrapping in foil make skin go soft? I'm doing my first turkey on thanksgiving and wondering to wrap it after or just let sit? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, anytime you enter 'steam' into the cooking process, the chance for crisp skin decreases. However, if you cook per these instructions above, you will not have crisp skin anyways, so wrapping in foil won't change a thing.

If you prefer crisp skin, you will need to increase temps to 325º or higher. I prefer the finished meat of a turkey cooked at the lower temps, so the sacrifice of crisp skin is null to me.

Back