225 for 12 hours on a 22", is it possible?

d kyser

I am going to cook a couple 8 lb butts tonight, wondering if I can get 225 for 12 hours on the 22" WSM with a stoker?

Have not seen how long of a burn you can get with the 22" model.

I do it without a stoker all the time. I'm sure you could do 12 hours and many more with the help of one of those.

My buddy Ed C. routinely does 20+ hour cooks with his DigiQ II using Rancher on his 22"

What fuel will you be using?

I've done 14+ hours at 225 - 250 on my 22" Cajun Bandit Weber Kettle conversion. I used about a 21 lb bag of Kingsford Blue Bag, minion method, and had coals left at the end. One of the good things about the CB is that you can use the sweeper to get rid of the ash buildup mid cook.

I'm sure that the 22" WSM is more efficient than the CB. You shouldn't have any problems. I always make sure I use a lot more charcoal than I think I'll need. That way I'm less likely to run short.

Pat

Ran my 22.5 a few weeks ago with 5 10-12lb butts at 225 for 14.5 hours. Added 60 more briquettes and ran at 275 for 2 more hours.

Y'all are talkin me into a 22.5" Big Boy!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Last weekend, did 2 butts and a large brisket. I wanted to cook a little lower temps than I had in the past and I used a full water pan. Maintained ~200 from 6:00pm until 11:00 with all of the lower vents shut. Cracked them (less than 1/8 open) and it held solid until the middle of the next morning. At 10:00am stirred the coals and added about 50 briquettes. Temp settled back out quickly ~215 with lower vents 1/4 open for another 4 hours until about 2:30. Finished up with the vents full open to maintain the temp ~225.

Total cook time 22 hours using Competition K (red bag) lit with MM. Butts came out great, but I will push the temps up a tad next time for the brisket (didn't render the fat as well as I had expected).

Two weekends ago, I had the maiden voyage for my 22 1/2. We cooked two butts and about six racks of ribs trimmed St. Louis style. I fired the WSM off using the minion method about 9pm on Friday night. It was 20 degrees in Houston so I started with a little more charcoal in the chimney. I place five good chunks of pecan among the unlit charcoal (Kingsford blue bag).

I started off with the vents open 100% and closed them down to 25% when the smoker hit 200 degrees. The cooker went up to 225-230 on my temperature probe and stayed there until I went to bed at 1am. When I got up at 6a, the probe temperature was down to 210. I opened the hatch, stirred the coals a bit, added two handfuls of new coals and opened the vents. It was still cold and the wind had kicked up a bit so I was worried about making to 10a at a decent temperature.

The cooker got back up to 225-230 pretty quickly and stayed there until 8a. It started to drop off but I wasn't concerned as the meat temp was getting close to 190. At 10a, the meat was at 195 and the grill was back down to 200+. I removed the meat, wrapped it, foiled it, and put it in an empty cooler inside. When I took it out to pull at almost 5, it was still toasty warm. After I finished the butts, I refueled, did a light cleaning and put on the ribs.

So long story short, you can make it 12 hours with little or no effort even under cold conditions where you might use a bit more fuel.

Good luck.

12 hours on a 22" WSM is no problem at all. Put a full ring of Kingsford is what I use don't use the cheap stuff, and your good to go. you will have to add a few coals after 9/10 hours of cook time. You said you have a stoker so you could go as long as you want.

I notice this is an old thread, but perhaps somebody else will find a couple more data points useful. I checked my notes and my first time cooking a butt on the 22.5" I used wicked good charcoal (lump), and did 12.5 hours and after closing the vents had a full chimney left over. No technology, just set the vents and tried to leave it alone.

Back