Thermapen Issues

Steve Zeitz

TVWBB Member
I have had a Thermapen for several years and have had issues with it for some time. I've calibrated it so I know it's working fine, but I simply must not know how to use it correctly. I invariably get strange readings out of meat when I'm using it; so strange at times that I know it's wrong. I can be grilling a steak and know for a fact it's close to done at medium rare/medium and yet I'll get readings of 90 degrees. I recently did a pork tenderloin and tried sticking the probe to the center of the roast and was getting like 100 when I know it was close to being 145 or 150.

I've found that for thin meats it's better to go in from the sides, but I still get strange readings no matter how I do it. I've gotten to where I don't trust it at all. Any advice would be great and much appreciated. Steve

my thermapen acts up also, but not in those ways... it simply stops working. And yes, I have changed the battery.

Steve, have you contacted ThermoWorks about this problem? Their customer service is Great!

Jim, I haven't because I assumed I was doing something wrong since it calibrates ok. The readings can just be bizarre at times. Thanks for the suggestion and I'll do that.

Back