New Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the scoop on the new ThermoWorks Thermapen being introduced on May 1 and shipping sometime in June.

I received an advance copy and it's everything they describe in the press release. Essentially the same dimensions, but more sleek and rounded. A very slick design.

Price will be $96.

I'll post a link to the ThermoWorks site when they have pictures available.

Regards,
Chris

----
New Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen

May 1, 2009 - Orem, UT - ThermoWorks announces the introduction of a completely new generation of its popular Super­Fast Thermapen™. A new robust and water-resistant plastic housing features molded-in seals to protect the thermometer from wet hands and kitchen splashes. Performance is improved with a true instant-read measurement time of only 3 seconds and higher accuracy of ±0.7°F. The wide measurement range from -58°F to 572°F covers a majority of commercial cooking requirements.

Operation is simple. Pull the rotating probe to the desired angle and the Thermapen™ turns on. Fold it safely away after use and it turns off. No buttons or switches to learn. User-configurable settings are hidden in the battery compartment so the user can personalize the Thermapen ™ for Celsius or Fahrenheit readings. Resolution can be set for display to tenths of a degree or whole degrees. If you leave the probe open, an auto-off feature will save on battery life. Auto-off can be disabled in the personalization settings for continuous readings. Display digits are now even larger than before and are easily read by a small group during cooking demonstrations.

The 1/8" stainless steel probe shaft is not easily bent and it reduces to a 1/16" needle tip diameter for fast measurement speed while leaving a tiny hole in tested foods. The sleek new plastic body fits the hand well and is easily wiped clean. The display window is molded into the plastic face so that it is sealed from moisture and there are no seams or edges to trap grime. Biomaster anti-bacterial additive is mixed into the plastic to further enhance food safety.

Each Thermapen™ is individually tested and includes a NIST-Traceable calibration certificate with actual test results at two temperatures. For professional users, a trim-adjust function in the battery compartment can be used to later tune the calibration. The Thermapen™ is available in 9 different colors. Battery life is typically 1500 hours. The battery cover is tethered to the thermometer body so it cannot be lost.

The previous version of the Thermapen™ has been a professional food-service favorite for years, being featured in all forms of public media including major TV shows, cooking and BBQ books, websites, forums, blogs, and is a favorite among the world's top chefs. It has earned and maintained, Cook's Illustrated's #1 ranking for instant-read thermometers. Approximately 1 million of the previous versions are in use worldwide.

The New Splash-Proof Thermapen will be offered at $96 each.

Available from ThermoWorks
Order online at www.thermoworks.com or by phone 800-393-6434

Differences in the new Splash-Proof Thermapen:

The design definition for the new Splash-Proof Thermapen included the most frequently suggested improvements from customers and publications like Cook's Illustrated. Following is a list of these improvements:

1. The new Thermapen is splash-proof. Molded-in seals will resist moisture from wet hands and messy commercial kitchen use. Although not intended for complete immersion, the new Thermapen should survive a temporary dunk. The rotating probe hub has a better seal. When new, it will seem a little stiff but this is part of the improved water resistance in the rotating parts.

2. Speed! We've actually improved the speed by at least one second.

3. Accuracy. Although there were almost no complaints about the Thermapen accuracy, we've improved it to a published spec of ±0.7°F. The units will actually be much better than this when shipped. The factory calibration is all electronic and there are no moving screws so calibration drift is absolutely minimal. The Thermapen should stay accurate for a very long time.

4. The battery compartment cover is better secured. It is also retained by a rubber tether to prevent it falling off and
becoming lost. The compartment is sealed against moisture.

5. Fewer food traps in the design. The LCD window is molded-in, flush to the front, thus eliminating an edge to catch food particles and grime. The probe now folds into an open-sided slot in the rubber seal. This can be more easily cleaned than the previous retention clip.

6. Most people seemed to hold the previous Thermapen by the end at the right side of the unit. On the new model, the display has been moved to the left so it is more easily seen if grasped with the thumb on the front side. The digits are also larger making it easier to read the Thermapen, even by a small group during demonstrations. This will make it even better for video demonstrations of food temperatures.

7. Resolution has improved to read to one tenth degree (0.1°F or 0.1°C).

8. The leading zero on the previous unit's display has been eliminated in the new design.

9. Battery life is 15 times longer. At 1500 hours, battery changes should be rare. The Thermapen now uses two of the commonly found CR2032 coin cells.

10. Many users, including commercial users, liked the simplicity of the Thermapen operation. There were no buttons or switches to learn or to accidentally misuse. To add the ability to customize or "personalize" the new Thermapen to a user's preferences, we've provided micro-switches in the battery compartment. Although easy to access, they cannot be accidentally changed. The simple instructions make it possible for the Thermapen to be set-up the way the user prefers while still keeping daily operation extremely simple. To use the Thermapen, all you need to do is open or close the probe to read temperature.

11. Cook's Illustrated did not like the "auto-off" feature in the previous model. If a user set the thermometer down, without closing the probe, it would shut off after about 8 minutes (sometimes just as they picked the thermometer up to use it again.) The new model includes the ability to disable the auto-off using the personalization setting found in the battery compartment. Those that like the auto-off can keep it. Those that don't can disable it.

12. The user can now choose to display in Fahrenheit or Celsius using the personalization switch in the battery compartment.

13. Although the new Thermapen can read to 0.1 degree resolution, some users will prefer to not show the more rapidly changing tenths. They can set the unit to eliminate the tenth, showing a resolution of 1 degree, using the personalization switches.

14. Simpler recalibration. The retired model featured two calibration screws under the back label so a user could adjust the Thermapen. The new model features a simple push-button trim-adjust mode that allows the user to set the calibration as much as two degrees up or down at a single temperature like an ice bath. Although most users should never need this feature, it will allow a finicky user to fine-tune the thermometer. The adjustments are easily accessed in the battery compartment alongside the other personalization settings.

15. New plastic. A more rugged polycarbonate is used. It will withstand higher temperatures. The plastic in the probe hub has an even higher temperature range and resistance to cracking. An anti-bacterial agent (Biomaster) is added to the plastic mix during molding. This will reduce bacterial growth on the surface of the Thermapen.

How prone are the older models to failure from getting wet? I ask because I'm not always very careful when it comes to cleaning and using my thermometers. I have very bad luck with the oven and bbq probes.

No wonder they were clearancing the "old" ones, oh well I still love it. I've never felt more confident doing chicken and steaks. Now I have an old wsm and an old thermapen
icon_wink.gif

I've given my old Thermapen light use and never had a problem with moisture or food getting stuck in the nooks and crannies. But I can see it being a problem in commercial cooking environments.

If you have an old Thermapen and it works great, there's no need to upgrade. If you don't have a Thermapen, the $74 clearance on old models is a pretty good deal. If you're hard on your tools, then the new model might be a better choice for you.

Chris

That is what I was thinking too. Finally bit the bullet and ordered a red thermapen for the clearance price of $74 and added their original oven thermometer with an extra probe.

Back