Frontier Hardwood Lump?

Kevin Walsh

TVWBB Fan
My wife called me a few minutes ago from Ocean State Job Lot to report that they have Frontier Hardwood Lump at $10 for a 20 lb. bag.

She suspected, correctly, that I have not cooked over this brand before, and called to ask if I would like her to pick a few bags up for me. My goodness, I married well.

Anyway, I took a peek at the Naked Whiz database, and found WILDLY mixed reviews. I noticed, however, that the more recent reviews (say, over the last year or so) are pretty positive.

I ended up asking my wife to pick up three bags - hey, at 0.50/lb, how wrong can you really go? I am curious, however, as to this community's experience and perspective on this fuel. I will try it out sometime this weekend. Do you all expect that, following this first cook, I will:

a) immediately rent a truck, drive it to Ocean State, and buy out their remaining inventory;

b) bury the product I have remaining; or

c) report back to the community that the stuff has earned its "Average" rating on the Naked Whiz database?

Thanks for your input.

Haven't used Frontier. Worse case scenario: use it for grilling. ...just wanted to say that it's good to have your wife on your team when it comes to BBQ. You go Mrs. Walsh!!!
Naked Whiz gives it an average rating, but the general user rates it faily high. I say stock up!

I like it. It burns quite hot and its my top pick for steaks. My only complaint is that it seems to have more small bits than royal oak.

Our Sam's Club in Birmingham had Frontier Lump for $14.67/40 lb bag. I bought a bag to try. Haven't use it yet, but I'm looking forward to it, but then again, I always look forward to grilling and smoking!

Pat

Tried some last night in the grill and it seemed fine. Just did a cornish hen and roasted some potatoes. Seemed to light fine and burned nicely. No bad aromas. There were some interesting chunks - whole sections of branch about 3" long, so I guess it's real wood!

Just got some at Sam's too, the 40# bags, and i'm about 1/2 through the first bag. Very appealing smell, but I find it a bit stubborn to light, and it seems to need more air than my RO lump. I grilled ribeyes and tuna over it on Sat night, and it was very good for that super high heat that tuna needs. The ribeyes were very too, but I was keeping the lid of the OTG slightly offset to make sure it go enough air as it likes to settle down really fast. Overall, for gilling, I like it.

Finally tried the stuff this past Saturday after having my wife grab 60 lbs. two weeks ago.

Based upon this one cook, I have no complaints at all: good-size chunks, pleasant aroma, and easy enough to light. This lump burns VERY hot -- perhaps as hot as (or hotter than) Cowboy. It does NOT, however, burn up anywhere near as quickly as Cowboy. I observed none of the sparking that figured so prominently in the Naked Whiz's middling review.

Overall, I would say that this fuel is a good choice for the price. I would recommend it to friends. Perhaps more importantly, I will put my money where my mouth is, and buy several more bags.

I'm on my 2nd 20# bag. I've used it for steaks, burgers, a butt, chicken, brats and dogs. Overall I'm very pleased with it. As others have said, great campfire smell, and some REALLY large pieces. Burns hot, but also worked well on a 9 hour cook on my WSM, I didn't have to restock the wood, and there was plenty left over after I was done, so I'm sure it could have kept going for at least another three.

I have had good luck with it on several smokes as well as grilling steaks and pizza. I like the fact that it does not pop in the chimney starter like some of the mesquite lumps do.

Frontier sparks like the 4th of July for me.

I dont even like using it on my deck beause the sparks fly when its lighting

I dont think I will buy it again.

I grilled some shrimp and salmon over Frontier and thought the charcoal gave the food a strange taste. It also sparked a lot and seamed to flame & smoke during the cook unlike other lump charcoal.

Back