Vinegars

Jason
It depends on the type of BBQ sauce and the flavours that you want to achieve as to the vinegar. Different vinegars (and quantities can dramatically change the complexity of the sauce.
For general BBQ sauces Cider Vinegar is generally used. Rice Wine vinegar is generally used in Asian inspired sauces, though I sometimes will substitute Red Wine vinegar for a deeper taste.
Here is a method for determining which you will like best for your taste.
Shave slices off a carrot with a vegetable peeler lengthways. It should produce about a cup full. Put the carrot slices in a collaner and cover the carrot slices with 2 tablespoons of salt. Let this sit for 1 hour and then give a good toss and shake. Let sit for another hour. Shake and drain. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and blanch the carrot for 1 minute.
Cool the carrot and split into three equal amounts. Using 3 clean sealable jars, pour 1/2 cup of each of the vinegars that you want to try into seperate jars, add 1/2 tablespoon of sugar to each jar and add the carrot. Seal and store in the fridge for a week. Try a piece or 2 of the carrot from each jar. to see which flavour you prefer. Don't try the vinegar on its own as it will be a different taste.

You can use the pickled carrot on salads or with Sushi.

Cheers

thanks for that. I guess I was really just wondering if the jugs of white and cider vinegar is fine to use or should I look at better brands in the bottles if it even matters.

I don't typically use a ton of vinegar in my sauces so I use a jug of cider vinegar, rather than wasting a better bottle in something where it will be overshadowed.

I do some comps so take this as comp advice, but it kind of goes along with bbq in general. A KC style sauce (IMO) should be fairly neutral, or familiar. When making my sauce, I use Hienz ketchup, French's mustard, etc, because it gives me a flavor that I think everybody can relate too.

Of course, I do have a pantry of vinegar (my wife kind of collects them) and I highly recommend seeking out finer vinegar because they have their place in any kitchen. I don't usually use flavored vinegars but I look for small bottles of better wine vinegars, because (IMO) the stuff sold as red wine vinegar at the supermarket can not be made from actual wine.

One of the good things about living in Australia is that KC and American style BBQ sauces are not all that widespread or common that allows us a broader pallete with which to develop sauces which match the Australian taste. I make a Hoi Sin sauce for my Char Sui pork which contains rice wine vinegar I have used 3 different brands of rice wine vinegar and got 3 different tastes. I wanted the sharper taste in the back of the mouth to cut some of the sweetness of the Hoi Sin paste. I posted the carrot test as that was the specific test that I used.

If you want to make sauces that match a standard taste expectancy then probably an average bottle would do. If you want to make a signature sauce then you need to decide the actual taste and then lock in the brands as well.

Ever wondered why if 2 people make a sauce or a rub using the same recipe why they are different!

You are correct in what you say J. it is the same in Australia some of the cheaper red wine vinegars are not all that good and appear to be white wine vinegar with a bit of coloring.

Jason, I hope that our explanations and insights have given you something to consider.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One of the good things about living in Australia is that KC and American style BBQ sauces are not all that widespread or common that allows us a broader pallete with which to develop sauces which match the Australian taste. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

heck, up here in Buffalo, I barely have an idea of what bbq should taste like. Luckily I had the opportunity to visit Kansas City and have some southern bbq in Georgia.

Like you Phil, not having a tradition to deal with allows one to freely try styles like Chinese because as far as I'm concerned its no more exotic than Memphis.

what brands of rice vinegar did you try? I'd be curious to know if they are similar to whats available here.

A Chinese Brand from the Asian Grocery Store. (no english name) Blue and White lable. - This was the best, a 750 ml bottle @ $7.95
Obento (japanese), not bad - second choice 250 ml bottle $2.15
Pearl River (Chinese) , third choice, good for general use 700 ml bottle $2.45
Classic Rice Wine Vinegar (Australian), not that good
Homebrand Rice Vinegar (generic supermarket brand) (made from reconstited toilet water) not even good for cleaning floors even if you mixed it with all the cleaning products in your cupboard.

I use unfiltered cider vin for 'typical' Q sauces; white balsamic and/or red for others; pineapple vin, coconut vin, palm vin for still others.

Distilled white vin I use for cleaning, almost never for food.

Back