How much to get?

Ray Saah

Hello All,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I was volunteered (not that I mind) to cook for an upcoming surprise party. We decided on port butt. I have a 22 WSM cooker. We will be buying the butt’s from a warehouse store (Costco). They come boneless, two to a pack. There will be close to 80 people there. Some small children, but mostly adults. There will be plenty of sides and other dishes that other family members are making. I was estimating to get about a minimum total of 45 to 50lbs raw weight. What do some of you all think raw weight wise to accommodate the guests? Now I definitely do not mind leftovers.

Thanks,

Ray

Ray for boneless pork butts I figure a "loss" of 30% during cooking. So for 45 lbs of butts your net would be about 31 lbs. Since you mentioned other dishes and sides, I assume 4 ounce portion per person you should end up with about 125 portions.

joe

Ray,I always cook too much when I Q. I tell the missus that it's better to have too much than to run out of food. HTH

Ray,
i am cooking up 6 butts tonight for our church picnic tomorrow. We are expecting around 80 people or so to feed.

I had also done another 6 butt cook in July for the same size group.
I served them up on hamburger buns to make it stretch and it was plenty, we even had some come back for seconds.

The ones that I am doing tonight were from Sams averaging around 14 pounds per 2 pack, so around 7 range a piece. They normally take me around 12-14 hour range. So I would recommend around 6 total should do you good.

Hi Ray,

Here's a link to the 6 butt cook.

South/Mex church picnic

It was plenty of food for over 100 people. We also had bbq chicken and potluck sides. I still feel that you will be fine with 6 or maybe 5 to feed your crowd.

Let us know how it goes, good luck and have fun bud!

Thanks for the feed back. The party is this Saturday. I think I am going to go with 6 butts. Even though it might be too much, one of my favorites is left over’s.

Good luck with the event, let us know how it goes and show us some good pics if you take any.

Have fun!!

Well, everything went great. The only thing is it was a tight squeeze to fit 4 roasts on the top shelf (there were three on the bottom). I think the next time I will keep it at a maximum of 6 shoulders. It all turned out great. It was also the first time that I used the maverick remote thermometer. This allowed me to get some sleep. I had the thermometer mounted on the top grate. After a few hours the stock thermometer in the lid was within 15 degrees of the remote thermometer. Thanks all for the input.

Sorry, I didn’t take any pictures.

Ray

Ray,
You're the man!
Glad to hear that they came out great.
I've thought of trying to put 4 on a rack before but agree that 3 per rack on the 22" is a really good fit.

Next time we need pics
icon_smile.gif
Have a good one bud.

Back