smoke wood

Dave O

TVWBB Super Fan
Question about smoke wood, just had a midite brisket, wife complained about strong taste. Suspect this was from the mesquite I used, 4 chunks. We live in Vancouver BC and it is hard to find fruit wood (appple, cherry)chunks at local stores. Has any one tried using Bradley smoking bisquettes, they come in different flavours. I thought about using wood chips but thought they would burn too fast.Thanks looking for your input.

Dave,not sure about the bisquettes,but you can layer chips through out the charcoal,giving you a longer smokiness. Also,the internet is a great place to find chunks! HTH Also,smoke is a flavor,like slat or garlic. Easy does it!

You might consider looking around for an orchard. Many people say that when they prune their trees they'll give away or very close to give away the wood.

Don't be afraid of chips though. I like chunks more too but if you make a little foil pouch and punch some holes in the top of it, your can make chips work for you. You might also look for hickory chunks, you should be able to find them as easily as mesquite and lots of people seem to like their taste more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You might consider looking around for an orchard. Many people say that when they prune their trees they'll give away or very close to give away the wood. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good advice. I got a trunk full of apple and cherry for 20 bucks from a local farmer. They usually prune in the spring.

Smoke is a personal thing. I know my wife isn't a big fan.

Learning to have a light hand with smoke is an important skill. Try burying your smoke wood under you unlit charcoal, and near where you plan to put your lit. The wood will ignite under a hot layer of coals, and the rising gases will get a chance at full combustion. You should get a cleaner taste. Also it will give the fire a chance to establish itself before the wood starts burning.

a friend of mine cut down his cherry tree a couple years ago and still has quite a bit of wood sitting around in his backyard.

i do not know exactly what type of cherry it was. does this matter?

it is mostly branches that are 2-3" in diameter. would this be good enough for smoking? i was thinking about using a chainsaw and cutting them in to smaller chunks to save myself some money.

Jason, as long as the wood is not rotting and there are no critters living in the wood. Go for it!!! I use ornamental cherry and crab apple all the time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Jason, as long as the wood is not rotting and there are no critters living in the wood. Go for it!!! I use ornamental cherry and crab apple all the time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats great news! thanks
icon_smile.gif

Out of curiosity, anyone ever use box elder chunks? It's a form of maple, so it's a hard wood. I'm wondering because I'm just about to take some decent-sized branches off the one in the backyard, and waste not, want not...

Stewart, I see no one responded so: Try it! I've heard that maple is good for light smoke flavor. Just as long as you don't try pine or any other coniferous tree. Rich

Back