What do you do for a living? *****

S Mitchell

TVWBB Pro
Mr. Wolgast said in another post that he was too tired after a hard days work, I am feeling the same way. It got me thinking. What does everyone here do for a living? I mean I know bbq is our priority, but we have to pay the bills!
icon_rolleyes.gif
I own a small excavating company. My boss is a jerk and rode me a little hard today.
icon_razz.gif
Hate that guy.

I work for a small printing company in the pre-press department...a little graphic design, a little stripping negatives, a little plate making, a little pre-press equipment maintenance, a lot of taking "camera ready art" and making it actually camera ready...

holeysmoke-a-roni Don!
I did all that like 30 years ago!
icon_eek.gif

I thought computers took over that/those processes!
I ran ABDick's, Chief's 15 + 17s, Heidelberg Windmill platen presses... done screen printing...
w0w... all this thinkin' is givin' me a headache!
think i need a 'tini
icon_razz.gif

I'm a retired land surveyor.
Many years of freezin' my arse off in the winter, and sweating it off in the summer.

But oh those nice days in the spring and fall!
When it was sweet being in the great outdoors, and watching folks go by in their cars, headed for their cubicles, and looking at us with envy in their eyes!

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
I thought computers took over that/those processes!
They have in most "up to date" shops...ours is definitely not up to date but we're still in business, which is rare for print shops in Richmond these days (updated or not). Hopefully when the economy turn around we will be rollin' and able to upgrade...quite a bit.

We got rid of our Chief 22 and 25 a few years ago, replaced them with a big 2 color Heidelberg. We have 2 Davidson 501s and a Davidson 701 and 702. We also do a huge amount of letterpress stuff...3 hand presses, 2 verticals and 2 kluges.

I drive a truck (ok,I really just hold the steering wheel!
icon_biggrin.gif
),and deliver batteries. They call me the battry man.
And the other drivers on the road have some other names for me,but we won't get into that!

I'm a draftsman. Do all sorts of CAD work. Used to do electrical, but was laid off and now do do mechanical work, which I find much more interesting than the electrical side.

I'm a Power Plant Operator. Usually work 12 hour shifts on a rotating schedule. Sometimes hard to get used to but I get a lot of time off so its worth it.

I'm a network admin. I work with computers all day. It's decent work and a lot of the stuff I do interests me since I like puzzles, logistics, and analysis, but all in all if money wasn't the object I'd rather be working outside.

My degree is in English. You just can't get a decent job with a liberal arts degree unless you go into law, and I just am not that driven.

I am General Counsel for a real estate brokerage and President of its sister title insurance company. I deal with land, the things on top of it, and the agents who sell it. But at heart, I'm just a country lawyer.

Pat

I currently work for Best Buy selling computers.
http://sellingcomputersinhell.blogspot.com

Hey, Phil...they called me the "Battery Man" too! I used to service and deliver material handling batteries on an Army Ammunition Plant in Milan, TN. Did that for 11 of 16 years before they laid me off.

1 1/2 years to go and counting, then I can tell the boss to kiss my a**, I'm retiring!!!

Well i work as a carpenter with my dad atm.

Early mornings,crappy weather and we are redoing a BIG roof for the past 2 weeks.

And im just to tired to light the grill when i come home,have to focus on the weekend intead i think
icon_wink.gif

Family business selling outdoor furniture, bbqs, and accessories. Been tough over last few years with the economy working 6-7 day work weeks.

Gave me a lot more gray hairs, but what you gonna do.

Retiring does sound nice. Enjoy it guys, I'll be there in another 30 years or so
icon_razz.gif

Government finance exec here. Have to ditch these green eye shades...they make the pulled pork look not-so-good.

Ron

I am also retired and play golf 3 days a week. Sometimes, after a hard day on the course, I may be a bit tired and decide to cook inside rather than outside.
Ray

Back