Maverick probe tips

For father's day, I got a Maverick ET-73. I did what I always do when I have a new cooking thermometer. I put it in a pot of water and heat it up to boiling to check that it works.

I had both the food probe and smoker probe in the water as the water came to a boil. I pulled the probes out, and the food probe quickly returned to room temperature, but the smoker probe did not. After this time, the smoker probe had a offset of between 100 and 200F above actual temperature.

I contacted Maverick and they sent me new probes. They arrived today, so the first thing I did was test them. Both probes showed reasonable temps up to boiling, but after a couple of minutes, the reading from the new smoker probe began to climb to 150F above actual temperature.

Ugh. This was very frustrating. What's the chance I got two bad smoker probes in a row. And has problems only with the smoker probe. At least I had two food probes now, and could use one on the smoker.

I finally realized the difference. I testing the probes, I was submerging the wire/probe interface of the smoker probe, but due to its extra length and L shape, I was not submerging the wire/probe interface of the food probe. I theorized that water had gotten inside the probe despite what appeared to be a good seal.

I put the probes (with the plugs outside, of course) in the oven and ran the oven at 250F for 1/2 to one hour. That seems to have fixed them!

On closer examination, the manual does say not to submerge the probes while cleaning.

In short:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> Do not submerge the probe in liquid up to the probe/wire interface.
<LI> If you do, and the readings get off, dry the probes in a 250F oven.
[/list]

hehe, I knew where you went wrong as soon as you mentioned boiling water.

I read that you can get them dry again by submerging them into hot oil. you can actually watch the moisture boil out of them. And the probe gets filled with oil which will prevent further moisture interference.

Hey J Biesinger, You beat me too it!!! LOL John J.B. is correct water will damage your probe,hot oil will protect and extend the life of the probe. the only other thing I can add is the oil can leak out during a cook. so watch how you lay the wire, or you my end up with a little bit of oil where you dont want it. Enjoy
icon_cool.gif

This is a great thread I didn't know about the oil thing ! Gona do that tommrow mine get used a LOT no problems but gotta warm SHMBO about the water thing as she normal cleans them up for me

THANKS guys

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back