Q Cookin'

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
Monday night was grilled smoked sausage on the Weber Q220. Direct for a few minutes to crisp the skin and get some grill marks then finished indirect with a baking rack over foil a al Phil Hartcher.

Tonight, chuck eyes on the Char Q, started indirect and then reverse seared. The Char Q is an absolute miser when it comes to charcoal, heats up to around 500 on about 2/3 of a Weber Chimney, gets a great sear on the cast iron grates, and then shuts down fast when the vents are closed. I only put coals on on the right hand side of the charcoal grate, leaving the left hand side for indirect cooking.

The Q220 already is my favorite gas grill and while I don't think the Char Q will overtake my SS Performer or my Kamado Joe as my favorite charcoal grills, it is a fantastic little grill for some quick weeknight cookin!

Pat

yea, i keep getting surprised by the q220. but i would get a char q if i could find one real cheap just cuz of the cast iron grates.

I'll have to admit that I had my doubts about the Char Q.
But now, like George, I'll keep my eye out for a bargain.

Pat, do you know the sq. inch size compared to a 14" SJ?
Guess I could look that up myself.

Keep 'em glowin' Pat!

I too have been considering a Char-Q. I have been considering it or a Smokey Joe with a cast iron grate. After special ordering the cast iron grate, I'd expect the cost to be about the same.

Bob, according to Weber,the size of the Char-Q is 280 square inch total cooking area. The area of the Smokey Joe is 165 square inches.

Bob, according to Weber,the size of the Char-Q is 280 square inch total cooking area. The area of the Smokey Joe is 165 square inches.
Thanks Anthony!

I think for small indirect cooks, the Char Q would be better than the small round grate on the Joe, as Pat did with the coals on one end.

One of my regrets is that Weber will not bring the Char Q into Australia which means I don't get a chance to play in the sandpit with it.
Such is Life

Cheers

Phil -

If I am ever going down to your neck of the world, I promise I will pack one up in my suitcase for you. If I can pack up a jumbo joe, i don't think a char-q would be a problem.

Burgers on the Char Q last night. Great sear on both sides of the burgers before moving them over to the cooler side of the grill to finish indirect. Very moist and juicy burgers (thanks to my wife's fantastic seasoning of the burgers) and I think if I only cooked on the Weber Char Q, I could cook all summer on one bag of charcoal!

An impressive little grill for smaller cooks. I did 5 Fred Flintstone sized burgers on it last night and they filled up one side of the grate.

Pat

Back