First Cook On My WSM

Paul Mosher

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm expecting delivery of my new 18.5 WSM next week and wondering what meat would be a good choice for my first cook. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

BabyBacks - Spares - Fatty - Brisket - PorkButt - Turkey legs - Whole Turkey - Chicken thighs - Whole Chicken - ABTs - Smoked Cabbage - PorkChops - Beef ribs
all of the above
icon_biggrin.gif

Are you new to BBQ and new to the WSM, or just new to the WSM?

If you're new to BBQ I recommend chicken, because it's cheap and easy. If you screw it up you won't be out $30 like a pack of baby backs. I like Perdue fryer or broiler chickens, they come in a 2 pack at BJ's.

Specifically, I recommend this recipe:
http://web.archive.org/web/200...ott.com/dinner1.html

I only marinate for 4-6 hours. When the chicken comes off the grill I use a propane blowtorch to crisp up the skin.

You may choose to ignore a lot of the other content on that site regarding how to light a fire, to only use lump, to throw out your extra charcoal, etc. I prefer the methods discussed on this sight for those techniques.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
BabyBacks - Spares - Fatty - Brisket - PorkButt - Turkey legs - Whole Turkey - Chicken thighs - Whole Chicken - ABTs - Smoked Cabbage - PorkChops - Beef ribs
all of the above
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Jim,

Your advice reminds me of the old Nike ad: "Just Do It"! Wish you could have given me a few more choices though. Ha!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig A:
Are you new to BBQ and new to the WSM, or just new to the WSM?

If you're new to BBQ I recommend chicken, because it's cheap and easy. If you screw it up you won't be out $30 like a pack of baby backs. I like Perdue fryer or broiler chickens, they come in a 2 pack at BJ's.

Specifically, I recommend this recipe:
http://web.archive.org/web/200...ott.com/dinner1.html

I only marinate for 4-6 hours. When the chicken comes off the grill I use a propane blowtorch to crisp up the skin.

You may choose to ignore a lot of the other content on that site regarding how to light a fire, to only use lump, to throw out your extra charcoal, etc. I prefer the methods discussed on this sight for those techniques. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Craig,

I was thinking along the lines of chicken for the reasons you mentioned, but figure I might need a little higher temp to crisp the skin since I don't have a blowtorch and my first attempt would be possible cause for early (neophyte) tweaking. Thanks too, for the Web Link...it looks both interesting and good. BTW, No Perdue chicken in the "West" unfortunately, but I've had good luck with "Red Bird" chicken in my Weber kettle.

I always answer that question with "What do you like to eat?"

re: crisp skin - whole chicken cooked at 225 is actually very wonderful and juicy. The skin's inedible but you should try it that way once sometime.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug Wade:
I always answer that question with "What do you like to eat?"

re: crisp skin - whole chicken cooked at 225 is actually very wonderful and juicy. The skin's inedible but you should try it that way once sometime. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug,
I'm sold. I will try it.

Sorry to barge in, but for a NEW smoker, does everyone recommend getting it up to temp and keeping it there for 4 hours (empty/no meat)in order to clean/season it?

Back