Worst Kitchen Tool Ever: Can Opener

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
The only reliable one I've seen are the supper HD for food service size cans mounted on a work bench. Every other opener fails.

A good old P-38 always works!
icon_wink.gif

I've used the Kuhn Rikon brand safety can opener for many years and have been very happy with it. I prefer a safety can opener because neither the lid or inside of can is sharp, making both easy to handle and easy to clean for recycling without worrying about cutting yourself.

Cook's Country (a Cook's Illustrated PBS TV show) rated can openers in Oct. 2008 and declared the OXO magnetic locking can opener the winner:

Oxo Good Grips i-Series Can Opener

Amazon does not call it "magnetic locking", but you can see it's the same model as on the OXO site:

OXO Good Grips magnetic locking can opener

Here's the entire review:

Published October 1, 2008.

Which model blows the lid off the competition?

List of products tested:

•Magnetic Locking Can Opener by Oxo
•Kuhn Rikon Slim Safety Lidlifter
•Progressive International Safety I-Can Opener
•Good Cook 4-1 HT Safe Can Opener
•Zyliss Safe Edge Can Opener
•Miu CanDo Safety Can Opener
•Chef'n EZ Squeeze 1-Handed Can Opener
•CIA Masters Collections Side Can Opener

We tested six safety openers as well as two traditional openers boasting “safer” operation; all models are priced under $20.

ATTACHMENT ISSUES
: Efficiency starts with locking onto the cans. Safety can openers come in two basic designs: top mounting and side mounting. Side-mounting openers proved to be much less intuitive for first-time users; testers had particular difficulty getting one opener to attach. Top-mounting openers (their turning cranks are parallel to the counter) attach by scissor action; two models were especially easy to attach. The two traditional can openers have locking mechanisms with push-button releases; this worked great on one, but several testers had trouble disengaging the another opener from the cans.

EASE OF OPERATION
: Testers preferred openers with easy, smooth-turning motions. The biggest loser here was a safety opener, which required too much muscle to use comfortably. Handles on two openers were angled so that short tuna cans tilted and spilled liquid when not opened with the handle hanging over the counter: a major flaw. Left-handed and right-handed testers had similar experiences with all models tested.

SAFETY MATTERS
: Whether a lid is sharp (from a traditional opener) or dull-edged (from a safety opener), the danger lies in having to handle it; the best openers allow no-touch lid disposal. Two safety openers had metal pincers that gripped the lid for safe disposal. The side-mounting safety openers were downgraded for lacking mechanisms for no-touch lid disposal. The two traditional openers we included had magnets designed for no-touch lid disposal.

SUMMING UP
: In opening over 120 cans, we found that there isn’t a single style of opener that works best. Our surprise winner left sharp edges, but its lid-catching magnet made disposing of the lid easy and safe. This opener was intuitive, comfortable, and efficient.

Winner

Magnetic Locking Can Opener by Oxo
Intuitive, efficient, and comfortable, this traditional opener topped our testing.

Thank you Chris. Looks like you have two good answers to the problem.
Chris, how do you drain tuna when you remove the top from the side. My habit is to to use a traditional cut from the top opener and push the top in expressing the excess liquid. Probably not the most sanitary way but it is an old habit. It seems as tho you must use another method.

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Chris, how do you drain tuna...
Sorry, can't help you there cuz I don't like canned tuna and don't buy it!

Since the OXO is a traditional opener, it should be able to support your tuna liquid "expression".

Regards,
Chris

someone gave me a Tupperware can opener for Christmas

it doesn't cut, it undoes the crimp

pretty neat, not sure if this is the same as those other safe can openers

aside from the pincers used to grab the lid which could have been done better I've been very impressed with it

I find the "semi-basic" hand-held to work almost better than anything else that I've tried:

I look for the Oxo or Swing-Away type with the following features:
-Large T-handle that you turn. These require very little effort to turn - even on relatively heavy-guage or large cans.
-Spur-like "sprockets" that engage the cutter wheel and the drive wheel

I feel that most electrics are simply a waste of counter-space. I've owned a Krups safety opener, and threw the POS out - it was a pain to get it consistently engaged to any size can. Plus, the way it opened cans - you could place the lid back on, but they wouldn't drain to save your life.

I just try to be careful with the sharp edges (a good, sharp, traditional opener does not leave the edges all THAT sharp), and would also rather have opened lids that are conducive to draining via the lid.

Ron brings up a good point. Chris, and special problem with draining operation as a result of how the KR style cuts the lid?

Went through a lot of can openers over the years till I bought an Oxo Good Grips opener about 5 years ago. It's the regular one, opens the can from the top. I use the opener at least once everyday. Best Damn opener ever for me.
icon_wink.gif
The Kitcheaid openers are about the worst ever for me. YMMV

I have the Oxo that uncrimps the lid: no sharp edges, no metal flakes in the food.

Steve, I used to drain my tuna the exact same way, so I got something like this which works fine on everything from tuna to canned beans, etc. I *think* I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond for just a couple of bucks.

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Thank you Chris. Looks like you have two good answers to the problem.
Chris, how do you drain tuna when you remove the top from the side. My habit is to to use a traditional cut from the top opener and push the top in expressing the excess liquid. Probably not the most sanitary way but it is an old habit. It seems as tho you must use another method.

I've used a safety can opener for years. To drain liquids from tuna, peas, etc., I've used a "can collander" (see link). You can pick them up for a couple bucks on the utensil aisle at your local grocery store.

http://www.amazon.com/PROGRESS...id=1244247586&sr=8-2

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
I've used the Kuhn Rikon brand safety can opener for many years and have been very happy with it. I prefer a safety can opener because neither the lid or inside of can is sharp, making both easy to handle and easy to clean for recycling without worrying about cutting yourself.

Cook's Country (a Cook's Illustrated PBS TV show) rated can openers in Oct. 2008 and declared the OXO magnetic locking can opener the winner:

Oxo Good Grips i-Series Can Opener

Amazon does not call it "magnetic locking", but you can see it's the same model as on the OXO site:

OXO Good Grips magnetic locking can opener

Here's the entire review:

Published October 1, 2008.

Which model blows the lid off the competition?

List of products tested:

•Magnetic Locking Can Opener by Oxo
•Kuhn Rikon Slim Safety Lidlifter
•Progressive International Safety I-Can Opener
•Good Cook 4-1 HT Safe Can Opener
•Zyliss Safe Edge Can Opener
•Miu CanDo Safety Can Opener
•Chef'n EZ Squeeze 1-Handed Can Opener
•CIA Masters Collections Side Can Opener

We tested six safety openers as well as two traditional openers boasting “safer” operation; all models are priced under $20.

ATTACHMENT ISSUES
: Efficiency starts with locking onto the cans. Safety can openers come in two basic designs: top mounting and side mounting. Side-mounting openers proved to be much less intuitive for first-time users; testers had particular difficulty getting one opener to attach. Top-mounting openers (their turning cranks are parallel to the counter) attach by scissor action; two models were especially easy to attach. The two traditional can openers have locking mechanisms with push-button releases; this worked great on one, but several testers had trouble disengaging the another opener from the cans.

EASE OF OPERATION
: Testers preferred openers with easy, smooth-turning motions. The biggest loser here was a safety opener, which required too much muscle to use comfortably. Handles on two openers were angled so that short tuna cans tilted and spilled liquid when not opened with the handle hanging over the counter: a major flaw. Left-handed and right-handed testers had similar experiences with all models tested.

SAFETY MATTERS
: Whether a lid is sharp (from a traditional opener) or dull-edged (from a safety opener), the danger lies in having to handle it; the best openers allow no-touch lid disposal. Two safety openers had metal pincers that gripped the lid for safe disposal. The side-mounting safety openers were downgraded for lacking mechanisms for no-touch lid disposal. The two traditional openers we included had magnets designed for no-touch lid disposal.

SUMMING UP
: In opening over 120 cans, we found that there isn’t a single style of opener that works best. Our surprise winner left sharp edges, but its lid-catching magnet made disposing of the lid easy and safe. This opener was intuitive, comfortable, and efficient.

Winner

Magnetic Locking Can Opener by Oxo
Intuitive, efficient, and comfortable, this traditional opener topped our testing.

I bought an Oxo i-series can opener and it made me realize that all the other can openers that I've ever used didn't compare to the Oxo. It is without a doubt the best can opener that I've ever used.

The Oxo I-Series looks like a nicer, heavier version of the Swing-Away that I like.

It still has the primary features that I look for:
-The conventional top-cutting wheel
-Sprocket interlock between drive wheel that grips the rim and the cutting wheel
-A nice, long twist handle to provide leverage for easy operation.

Plus, the rounded construction and a magnet to catch the lids. Sounds like a winner. (In about 50 years, when my Swing-Away dies or gets dull, maybe they'll have an improved version that will work for my weak hands, if I'm still kickin'
icon_wink.gif
)

Back