crispy chicken skin on an infrared grill

Chris Smith

TVWBB Fan
I know it's heresy to some here but for my regular weekday grilling duties I own a new Charbroil 100% infrared gas grill (the one with the "U"). I can't remember the last time I grilled skin-on, bone-in chicken and I've got a package of said poultry in the fridge for dinner tonight. I would appreciate any tips from the forum on ensuring the skin turns out nicely on this kind of grill. It has two burners so I do have direct and indirect at my disposal, to an extent. I intend to dust them with some seasoning beforehand and brush with BBQ sauce when they're nearly done, but I'm not sure what to expect when it comes to the skin with this grill.

thanks

Based on what Ive seen around here, most would say to cook them for around 40 minutes at 400 degrees indirect and then grill them direct for just a couple of minutes. Thats all I know so far, I will be trying it soon also though!

I haven't tried it but have read to take the chicken out of the package and air dry them for a few hours to get crispy skin

I avoid gassers myself, but occasionally have no choice but to cook on one. Regardless, no matter what the cooker - gas, charcoal, kitchen oven - I cook indirect, high heat (>400?, usually ~ 450?) and get crisp skin. Dry well when it comes out of the package.

Personally, I'd skip the sauce if you are looking for truly crisp skin - or at the very least keep it quite light and apply the last minute or so. Sauce decreases crispness pretty quickly.

To get the crispy skin on Peking Duck I dip the duck in boiling water with honey, shaoxing wine, corn flour slurry and a little soy sauce and ladle it over the duck for a few minutes to build the flavours. I then air dry under a fan for 5-6 hours. I cook indirectly on high and it turns out perfect. I do this on my Weber Q, Genesis, Performer and on my Traeger (on high Setting. I am not sure how it would work on chicken but intend to give it a go soon.
I agree with Kevin - skip the sauce and serve it on the side this will stop the skin from going soggy.

I understand that most people would prefer crispy skin, what I look for is bite through ability - by this I mean the ability to bite through it without having to tear it out of my mouth - when it is a this stage without sauce it holds the natural chicken flavour and is in a semi sticky state and some of the renderd fat is still on the inside of the skin. There is no crunch and the chicken flesh surface under the skin is still very moist and does not stick into your tongue or cheeks..
That is what I aim to produce each time.

Cheers

Back