Poblanos --- Roast/Peel???

JimT

TVWBB Pro
I've read many recipes that say to roast and peel the chiles before use, and others that make no mention of it.

What say you???

JimT

I'm in the roast and peel camp for poblanos, hatch chiles and others with a thick skin. Not only does it remove the thick skin but it gives the chile a nice roasted flavor with a bit of char. Many of the chiles have a thicker skin that doesn't offer any benefits and really have skin that becomes an unpleaseant sensation in the mouth. The chile meat cooks quickly, but the skin doesn't break down or tenderize. The peeling process is very quick and easy and well worth it in my opinion.

Paul

I'm in the roast and peel camp for poblanos, hatch chiles and others with a thick skin. Not only does it remove the thick skin but it gives the chile a nice roasted flavor with a bit of char. Many of the chiles have a thicker skin that doesn't offer any benefits and really have skin that becomes an unpleaseant sensation in the mouth. The chile meat cooks quickly, but the skin doesn't break down or tenderize. The peeling process is very quick and easy and well worth it in my opinion.

ditto.

to roast/peel: indoors I'll use a propane torch, time consuming but insures an even blackening and complete peeling. outdoors I'll use my large propane burner (bayou classic) or do them over a very hot charcoal fire. The hotter the fire and the blacker the chile, the easier it'll be to peel. I'll peel them over a sink and scrape the skin away with a small serrated knife (steak knife). it helps to have a damp dish cloth to wipe the black skin off the knife after every few scrapes.

Ditto as well.

Poblano skins are of the thicker sort. Roast (I just stick them right on my gas burners if not doing outside), stick in a bowl covered with plastic for 10 min or so, peel, then make rellenos. Cut whatever chilies are left into rajas and freeze.

Thanks for the responses guys, but I'm afraid I didn't ask a very good question. Could we try again?
icon_rolleyes.gif

When I originally posted, I was thinking of making stuffed poblanos or a similar recipe. Note that Jack did not mention roasting the peppers, nor do many I have found on the internet. My concern is that if the peppers are peeled, they might become too soft, and be hard to manage when cooking on a grill.

Soooo,,,,,,If you were making a "stuffed" concoction of some sort, would you still roast and peel?

Thanks for the help,

JimT

Yes. Though chiles rellenos, the stuffed dish where poblanos are the norm, are not grilled, I would still peel them. Yes, they will be soft. They will simply need to be secured to close (like picks), or wrapped to close (as one would with bacon or prosciutto).

However, in the recipe you link to, the peppers are simply stuffed and cooked. This is not the same thing. In this case, the peppers are first stuffed and then cooked. This allows some softening of the skin, as happens when regular bell peppers are stuffed and cooked. The finished flavor is different, i.e., there are not the roasted pepper flavor notes that one achieves with roasting the peppers first, before stuffing.

The recipe you link to would work both ways. You could make it as written, using raw poblanos, or you could make it subbing roasted peeled poblanos. For the latter you would want to leave the top of the pepper on, make a short slit in the side to work in the filling, then secure the side closed with picks or kitchen twine. Peeled peppers are a bit more difficult to work with (because they are soft and can tear if one isn't careful) but the flavor is worth it, imo. Alternatively, you could wrap the peeled, stuffed peppers in bacon or prosciutto (if using bacon, go with thinner slices and blanch in boiling water for 60-90 secs before use), which would give you a giant ABT sort of finish.

Your choice.

Soooo,,,,,,If you were making a "stuffed" concoction of some sort, would you still roast and peel?

When I stuff peppers, I usually use the long, yellow-green guys. Around these parts they're usually referred to as "hot hungarian peppers" at supermarkets and "stuffing peppers" at farmer's markets. They have nice heat, make a single sized portion, and cook up great in a foil packet.

The key is to roast them as fast as possible. I have seen the skin blackened with a butane torch. I use a small grill right on the power burner of my stove. DO NOT TRY THIS ON A GAS GRILL. The key is to burn the skin, without cooking the flesh too much. Roasting chiles if definitely a skill worth mastering. As mentioned prior, only do it on thick flesheh Poblanos, New Mex, Anahiem, Jalapeno type chiles. It also works fine on red and green bells.

The key is to roast them as fast as possible. I have seen the skin blackened with a butane torch. I use a small grill right on the power burner of my stove. DO NOT TRY THIS ON A GAS GRILL. The key is to burn the skin, without cooking the flesh too much. Roasting chiles if definitely a skill worth mastering. As mentioned prior, only do it on thick flesheh Poblanos, New Mex, Anahiem, Jalapeno type chiles. It also works fine on red and green bells.

Good thinking Dave! I prefer not to use a propane torch because its a bit more time consuming and it doesn't soften the pepper enough. When I roast red peppers, I like to get them pretty soft so the dont taste so raw when in salads and sandwiches. BUT, as you stated, this downside, can actually be an advantage if you plan to stuff and cook further. I guess I never saw that since I don't typically stuff poblanos or other thick skinned chiles. maybe I should start.

Back