Tri tip

John Solak

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Made a tri tip tonight for dinner. Looking thru the pics I took, not a single one with anything on the grill.

Pulled the tri tip at 120. Cooked it at around 280 dome temp with a little red oak for smoke.
P1010093.jpg

Got the grill up to around 350* and seared and pulled at 135*
P1010103.jpg

Sliced.
P1010106-Copy.jpg

Plated. Made some Soup Plantations Joan's Broccoli Madness from a recipe I found not too long ago and toasted a baguette.
P1010107.jpg

Before I put the tri tip on I had smoked some onions for some french onion soup.
P1010110.jpg

John, you gotta be livin' in HEAVEN!!!
Forget the shots of the grill, every photo here is AWARD WINNING!!!
Awesome Cook!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
Can you elaborate on the onion soup? That looks really good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BBQ Pit Boys recipe. I just do the onions on the grill and cook the soup on the stove top. I omitted the beer and Turkey too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIOeJOOM5Es

John that is one fine looking Tri-Tip.
Michele that is sad that you cant get Tri-Tips in your town. I can go to my Raleys or Bel-Air grocery store two streets over and pick up a handful of CAB Tri's if I want them.

I have a Tri Tip question.

Seems that since this is not necessarily a low and slow cut, it is cooked to an interior temp like a steak or roast.

Well, my wife and I like our steak doneness VERY different. Can I simply cut a tri tip through the "crotch" of the vee and cook each half to a different doneness? Or having cut it down the middle, have I "split the muscle" so that it will leak all of its beefy goodness when cooked and end up dry?

cut before the cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Cutchen:

Seems that since this is not necessarily a low and slow cut, it is cooked to an interior temp like a steak or roast.

Well, my wife and I like our steak doneness VERY different. Can I simply cut a tri tip through the "crotch" of the vee and cook each half to a different doneness? Or having cut it down the middle, have I "split the muscle" so that it will leak all of its beefy goodness when cooked and end up dry? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The tri-tip triangular shape is ideal for meat cooked to various "done-ness". The tips will be cooked more.

Cutting it in half would work.

The tricky part about tri-tips is the grain. They don't run parallel throughout the whole roast, So cutting them against the grain takes practice.

Steve... I have seen at Costco "tri-tip steaks" which appear to be a tri-tip roast cut into strips about 1-1/2" square and 10" to 12" long. This may work for you.

joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Cutchen:

Well, my wife and I like our steak doneness VERY different. Can I simply cut a tri tip through the "crotch" of the vee and cook each half to a different doneness? Or having cut it down the middle, have I "split the muscle" so that it will leak all of its beefy goodness when cooked and end up dry? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This tri tip wasn't done to my wife's liking. She took some of the slices and put them in a frying pan and cooked them some more.

Back