Pork and Pineapple Tacos

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
Really! I made this sort of on a whim, but it was good enough to make it into the regular rotation. Unfortunately, it was an experiment and I did not think to take any pictures.

I cut a section of fresh pineapple and 2 pork loin chops into a 3/4 to 1" dice. I seasoned the pork with chipotle and ancho chile powders and salt, and lightly dusted the pineapple with cayenne. I also quartered a red onion.

Next step was to thread onto skewers, in a repeating onion-pork-pineapple pattern. I grilled over medium heat until done (weeknight cook so I used the gasser) then slid to the back and warmed flour tortillas. We ate them with lots of chopped cilantro and green tomatillo salsa.

Very simple, tasty meal. The only change I will make next time is to cook everything in a grill wok rather than skewering. The presentation is nice with the skewers, especially since each is roughly a serving, but not worth the time for a weeknight meal.

sounds like a traditional al pastor taco. Easily my favorite thing to eat our local taqueria. They do theirs on a rotisserie, like you would see gyro meat. Fantastic stuff, and the flavors are great together with the pork, pineapple and chile, sweet and hot, gotta love it.

Evidently I had that in my subconscious from seeing it on TV or maybe on here at some time, and threw it together out of what was in the fridge. Our Mexican restaurants aren't that adventurous around here. It's surprisingly flavorful for a fairly healthy meal!

Absolutely right on the fairly healthy part. Our mexican places don't really have it either, but there is one tiny taqueria that the vast majority of the hispanic folks eat at, so the stuff in there is the real deal. Today is tamale day, which means it will be a great day!

Back