J. A. Henckle knives

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
There has been a lot of discussion about knives in this section. What do you guys think about Henckle knives? There are several sets I can get as an award through work. I looked at their website,but,no surprise,none of the sets I can get are on their site. Any opinion/info is always appreciated and thanks in advance for your help.

I got a set for x mas and love them.The block came with steak knives which I allready have.I would go with a set without and get more or better quality knives.

I have one of their paring knives given to me as a gift so not much experience with their other items. The knife has a nice balance and feel in my hand.

I have a set and I really like them. I seem to remember a thread about them and some saying there were sets they offer you want to stay away from. I'll try and find it.

I've got a set of 4 Stars that I received as a Christmas gift from my parents when I graduated from College in 1987. Still use them and love them. The fit in the hand, the "heft" and balance are great for my personal preference. When I'm at a neighbor or friends house and use their equipment I truly notice a difference.

Quality knives.

Try to find a set on the hoof so you can hold them and faux-cut with them. You want to be sure they feel good in your hand.

Henckels markets many different series of knives. Some are still made in Germany, others in Spain, China, etc. There is a wide range of quality levels and it's hard to tell them apart. Some are top notch, others merely average.

Personal preference plays a big part as well. My wife likes her moderately priced Henckels chef knife better than our fancy Japanese knife, which most people would say is of much higher quality.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Personal preference plays a big part as well. My wife likes her moderately priced Henckels chef knife better than our fancy Japanese knife, which most people would say is of much higher quality. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's really the key. Like someone said in another thread, there are many good knives that will work fine as long as they are sharp.

I have a Shun Ken Onion santoku chef's knife because when I picked it up, the Ken Onion designed shape just melted into my hand.
24250_285.jpg

All mine are Four Stars. One 9" chef's, a 6" chef's, a 2 Santoku hollow edge, 2 paring and one Wustof boning knife. I love these and have had them for years. Got rid of the Forschner 8" chef's and all my F. Dicks.

There's an easy way to tell the quality of Henckle knives. The logo! The value brands have a logo with a single man and the premium lines have a logo with two men.

I have a number of knives in their 4-star line and they're great.

I used to sell them in college.......GREAT KNIVES!!

Always look for the forged German ones......either 4 Star or Professional.

I'm partial to the Professional since I like the look of the rivots. Both are super high quality and their warrantee is superb.

I have to second the warranty. I received some as a wedding present 10 years ago and the handles cracked on two knives. I sent pictures to Henckle customer service and they said to send the in. I received replacements in a few weeks.

I've always been happy with mine. I was given a 6 peice set as a wedding present, and I love them. They have a serrated set with their name on them as well, Ever-edge I think they're called. I recommend staying away from anything but a straight edge for most of your cutting. In my opinion, serrated edges are not very good for all around use.

I have a set which my wife and I were given for a wedding present over 30 years ago-I just checked and they are the two men variety. There was an article in the Wall Street Journal a couple of weeks ago rating knife sharpening services. There's a fellow in Northern Ohio who will sharpen 15 knives for around $75, and since the article was published his backlog is several months. Think I'll send mine back for a tune up.

I'm also fond of the wooden handle Chicago Cutlery knives which are softer steel and easier for me to sharpen.

Les Stubby

Back