Frying buffalo wings while camping

John West

TVWBB Member
I'm planing to fry up 5-7 pounds of buffalo wings on an upcoming camping trip. I've never made them before. I plan to fry till done, then toss in a mixture of butter and hot sauce.

I'm bringing a propane turkey fryer burner to do the frying. I have a 10 quart pot and a 42 quart turkey fryer pot for it. Which would be better to use?

Should I cook small batches at a time in the smaller pot, or all at once in the larger? In either case, how many gallons of oil should I use?

Any other tips on how to make sure they come out good and to make cooking and cleaning up easier while camping? Thanks!

John,have you thought about grilling the wings? If you fry them,you have to bring the oil in,then back out. By grilling,you won't have all that oil. Just a bag of charcoal,which will be smaller,if not gone,when you leave. HTH

yea, i vote for grilling them. just cook indirect first when near done, crisp them up over hot coals. then toss if needed. iff yer set on frying then i suggest using a wok. gets very hot and uses very little oil.

As phil and george said,altho i always sear min over heat first then i move em to indirect untill done.

But i guess both would work,and if u are camping the wings will even taste better then at ur own garden-strange but true
icon_wink.gif

I too wouldn't fuss with the frying while camping (unless you plan to fry something else...like having a fish fry).

I'd grill em and then (maybe) sear them in a fry pan, but that's a big maybe. I'd probably just grill em before tossing them w/sauce.

Back