Flat Irons meet Smokey Joe

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
This is the second time I cooked these Flat Irons and absolutely LOVE THEM!!!

I am going to have to modify my Smokey Joe because even with a full load of lit lump, I cannot get the darn thing hot!

More pic's at The Wolfe Pit

IMG_3671.jpg
IMG_3686.jpg
IMG_3694.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am going to have to modify my Smokey Joe because even with a full load of lit lump, I cannot get the darn thing hot! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get a stoker for it!
icon_smile.gif

Mouthwatering, as usual, Larry!!

Gorgeous!!!

I don't have any problems getting my Smokey Joe Silver hot with lump - I did an experiment last summer with a load of lump in the SJS and it stayed over 500 for over an hour.

I have modified two Smokey Joe Platinums but putting a bottom vent in. Both of those reach and hold temps without a problem.

I do really enjoy cooking on the Smokey Joe when I'm cooking for myself or need to be cooking for my wife and me in just a few minutes. I hit the coals with my weed burner for a few minutes, and I'm cooking!

I've got some flat irons in the freezer that, after seeing your beautiful steaks, are going to have to go on the grill tomorrow!

Thanks for sharing!

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:

I have modified two Smokey Joe Platinums but putting a bottom vent in. Both of those reach and hold temps without a problem.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is my plan now!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Beautiful, Larry! I see that bath your camera took didn't slow it down much!
icon_biggrin.gif

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very surprising huh?

FYI, I dropped my camera into the dog bowl that was full of water! The bowl is almost always empty, but on this day it was full. The camera was under water for about 5 seconds....I immediately grabbed it, removed the battery and memory card and put in the fridge for 24 hours, then let it sit on the counter for another day. Works like a charm now!

Larry,
Those steaks look great! I have never tried a flat iron, but now I will have to cook one on my Smokey Joe Silver very soon. I thought I saw those Swift brand flat irons at Costco, but thought they were enhanced, so I kept moving. I have a butcher here that has been in business for 60 years and most of the people working there look like they have been there from day 1, so I am not sure if really know what a "flat iron" cut is. I guess I'll have to ask.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clint:
Looks kind of like tri tip. I've gotta try that. Did you get it from walmart? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got them from Blooms, but Giant food sells them too from what my wife tells me...

Great looking steaks!!! I went to the farmers market today and saw a guy had some grass fed flat iron steaks and wanted to pick up a couple to try until I saw the price. $11.00 a lb.

Flat iron steaks are awesome. Unfortunately, I don't see them that often?

Does anyone know how to cut a flat iron steak out of a chuck roast? That's where it's from, I believe. Could be a good way to buy it. Flat iron steak plus meat for grinding.

Larry - these look just awesome and done the way I like my steak. I will have to look for these in the stores. One question Larry - How do you think these would do on a kettle with the CI Grates?

Thanks

Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris from OHIO:
Larry - these look just awesome and done the way I like my steak. I will have to look for these in the stores. One question Larry - How do you think these would do on a kettle with the CI Grates?

Thanks

Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris they would be even better x10.....ticks me off each time I've cooked them that they were NOT cooked on my Performer......NEXT time they will have a proper sear on the CI grates!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">so I am not sure if really know what a "flat iron" cut is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It is chuck top blade. The whole thing is a chuck top blade roast. Running horizontally through the center of the roast is a thin layer of gristle. It will not soften appreciably during cooking and is virtually inedible. Properly prepared for steaks, the roast is cut horizontally just above the gristle line, this top half removed, then the gristle is cut off the bottom half. These halves are then cut crosswise into steaks, usually two or three per half. Because of the grain structure of top blade, flat iron steaks shrink in width as they cook, but get thicker at the same time.

Larry- You don't need high heat, really. Just build the sear on both sides, flipping pretty often. Looks very good, regardless.

I have cooked small amounts of meat directly on my chimney starter by flipping the sjs grate upside-down and placing it on top. If it gets too hot, just pour out the coals into the grill and finish cooking as you would have. If nothing else, it gives a good sear at the beginning. Those flat iron steaks should work great like that.

Those look really good. Nice pics too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris from OHIO:
Thanks for the response Larry - I have a few emails in to the company to see where I may find them locally (Central Ohio). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris, send me an e-mail, I checked your profile and you don't have one listed.

bigdaddyskins56@gmail.com

Back