Got it put together but...

My Weber chimney starter wont be here until tomorrow. I ordered my 22 wsm the same day so I wonder why they didnt come together. Ive got 2 4 lb whole chickens think Im gonna make some beer can chicken for dinner tomorrow night.

Congratulations on your new WSM! The chickens will be an excellent first cook. Be sure to get yourself a copy of Gary Wiviott's book,"Low and Slow" and check out all the technique sections on this site and you'll be ready to go. Just don't sweat the small stuff, let the smoker settle in, and sit back and relax and enjoy the cook!!

Pat

Hey Matt, if the chimney doesn't arrive soon enough, Lowes and Home Depot, along with Ace Hardware sells the Weber Chimneys... run out tomorrw and fire up that smoker ASAP!
It's not uncommon to have <STRIKE>two</STRIKE> i mean <STRIKE>three</STRIKE> many chimneys
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary McD:
Most of us have two or three chimneys, so run up to HD or Ace and pick one up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<STRIKE>Seconded</STRIKE><STRIKE>Thirded</STRIKE> Whatevered. You WILL find a use for another chimney.

Got them birds smoking right now temp is at 225 closed the 3 bottom vents to 25% got the one on the lid all the way open. I have hickory wood and sweet blue smoke permeating thru the hood. Time to crack a beer and let the magic happen.

Matt,

Do you have water in the pan? If so, you may want to open all vents 100%. I think the chicken does way better at 275-350.

The skin seems to rubberize at the lower temps!

Matt:
You might want to cook the chickens at a higher temp - 325-350F for 1-1.5 hrs (160F breast, 175F thigh) to get more edible skin. Most people don't like the rubbery skin from low & slow chicken. HTH

It's a preference thing - at 225 the meat's usually super juicy and nice - but yeah, the skin's going to be icky and you should basically strip it off. I'll cook it sometimes one way and sometimes the other depending on what I'm doing (as an example the 225 chicken is extra good the next day cold when the skin's inedible anyway).

I have all the vents open temp on the lid reads 225 this is Wisconsin and winter time so Im sure the inside of the cooker is much hotter. Going to check on the chicken and spray apple juice on them in a second.

Paul/Doug,

Have you are anyone else tried cooking the whole bird w/o the skin @ low and slow temps?

Been wanting to try because like y'all say, the meat is more tender/ juicy!

Just a thought.

I agree with Paul that you need to bump the temp up

Hopefully you have water in the pan.

Take it easy with the hicory when you are doing chicken or turkey.

Oh man did it turn out great so moist,tender,juicy and flavorful. It was perfect melt in your mouth chicken! Im in love! The perfect combo of hickory and rub I used paid off! You bite into this and the texture and flavors hit your taste buds from every angle!

Glenn: The wife loves crispy chicken skin, so whenever I do chicken, parts or whole, it's to that end. Glad to hear some enjoy it low and slow. Regards,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt S Brew City Smoker:
Oh man did it turn out great so moist,tender,juicy and flavorful. It was perfect melt in your mouth chicken! Im in love! The perfect combo of hickory and rub I used paid off! You bite into this and the texture and flavors hit your taste buds from every angle! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Matt that there sounds wonderful but the first thing you need to learn on this site is "No pictures -- didn't happen"
icon_razz.gif

Congrats on your first cook! Your hooked like the rest of us now
icon_wink.gif

Ah yes the infamous pics or it didnt happen lol. I was going to take pics but all the excitement made me forget. Im doing ribs tomorrow. Ill be sure to take pics this time around.

Matt,don't sweat it. I forget to post pics most of the times. I figure I can either hold back the hungry hordes or feed em. I would rather let them stuff their face,than have them wait while I grab the camera/phone! Also,if you feed them,you don't have to listen to them howling for food!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back