California > Morgan Hill: Dickey's Barbecue Pit (CLOSED)

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
UPDATE 10/2022: This location closed during Summer 2022.

UPDATE: Since writing this review, Dickey's in Morgan Hill is now owned and operated by a new owner and has moved to a new location in Cochrane Plaza, 1049 Cochrane Rd Suite 160.

---

This is a chain/franchise out of Dallas that is expanding like crazy across the US. They opened this location in Morgan Hill in May and plan to open others in San Jose and Mountain View. There's also a location in Fremont that preceded this one in Morgan Hill.

I can't say the food was spectacular, but I don't expect that when I go to a barbecue restaurant here in the wasteland-o'-barbecue that is California. I thought the chopped brisket sandwich I had was pretty good, the waffle fries were crispy, the big yellow plastic cup of Luzianne sweet tea was alright, and the free soft serve ice cream was a nice touch. The barbecued beans were overly smoky, not sure if that was from the pit or from liquid smoke, but not to my liking. The whole thing was $9, not bad.

Unlike some places that bundle a side with a sandwich, they don't do that here. And they have 3 sizes of sandwiches, so you could get a small pulled pork and a small chopped brisket and then order sides separately or make one sandwich a combo with 2 sides for just $2. I like that ordering flexibility.

They had a sandwich called The Westerner that offers your choice of 2 meats + cheese. OK, you had me until you said "cheese". I can never understand why restaurants offer cheese on a barbecue sandwich! Doesn't make any sense to me.

I did like the 3 choices of warm sauce at the condiment stand, and as I said, genuine Luzianne iced tea in sweet and unsweet. Don't see that here in CA very often, if at all.

Again, not as good as what you can make in your WSM ;) but it scratches the itch when you don't have any leftover BBQ in the deep freeze.

http://www.dickeys.com

Last edited:
I saw this place near the Target store. I may have to try it soon. Do you like it better than the Trail Dust? Thanks for the write up Chris.

I ate at one of these in suburban Minneapolis today and was not impressed. I had the pulled pork sandwich with cole slaw and fried onions on the side. The pork was very plain with little flavor. The bbq dipping sauce was the only thing that gave it much taste. The fried onions were basically, scraps of onions with lots of salt and not much else. The cole slaw was pretty good.

I'll probably try it again just to see if they were having an off day. I guess even sub par BBQ is better than none at all.

They opened one up here is Orlando last year. I don't know how they are expanding as I did not not find it to be that good as I have not gone back. BBQ is very regional some things work better in some areas then others. Have you guys ever tried Shane's Rib Shack? I go back to Shane's every soft often and its further out of my way then Dickey's.

Back