California > San Jose: Armadillo Willy's BBQ

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
So this is my long-time, go-to BBQ restaurant for when I don't feel like making barbecue myself. It's not as good as it used to be, but it does scratch the itch, if you know what I mean. I like the sandwiches, but the plate dinners are good, too. Don't miss the fries (ask for them crispy) and the corn muffins.

You can get discount coupons by "liking" Willy's on Facebook or by joining their E-Club which sends out coupons by e-mail.

Also, little known fact...AAA members get a 10% off the total order. Cannot be used with other promotions or coupons.

www.armadillowillys.com

Locations in San Jose (2), Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Cupertino, Los Altos, Dublin, and San Mateo.

Former locations now closed: Capitola, Gilroy and Roseville (Roadhouse BBQ concept), Sacramento (Flying Pig concept).

In the interest of accurate info, I checked the official AAA discount list and found that Armadillo Willy's is no longer listed. However, when you present your AAA card they do give the 10% discount.

Just be aware that at some point they may decide to stop offering this undocumented discount.

Regards,
Chris

Not long after I wrote "not as good as it used to be", I got an e-mail from the owner asking about my recent experiences and what I thought could be improved. We had a great e-mail exchange. Willy's is in the process of making some major changes to its menu, including an a la carte approach where a sandwich can be ordered without any sides, resulting in lower prices.

I'm looking forward to experiencing the changes and improvements first-hand!

Regards,
Chris

I REALLY wanted to like this place, based primarily on your use of their rub in one of the recipes in the cooking section, but was not at all impressed with the brisket I had at the Dublin location over Christmas. I admit it was late at night, and perhaps they're slow that time of year, but it was VERY chewy. Not at all tender. And not really that tasty either.

It was a sad day for me because I was starving and I made the family drive there "late" at night on our way home to Livermore from Stoneridge in Pleasonton.

Anyway, maybe that's why they've shut some branches. Perhaps it will be motivation to turn it around.

Cupertino location is closed, which is weird because it was always mobbed when I worked in the neighborhood.

Brisket is the star at Willy's locations, generally, but the fries are what I crave between visits. Best in the Valley.

Brisket is the star at Willy's locations, generally, but the fries are what I crave between visits. Best in the Valley.
Yeah, I could sit down with a big basket of their fries and ketchup and be a very happy man! :D 🍟

I had not heard about Cupertino closing, that's too bad, it was a good location. Can't find any info on why it closed. As you probably know, Cupertino was the site of the very first Willy's (but at a smaller location down the street). I hope they open at another suitable location. If not...that's a bummer.

Last edited:
Well, my bad. I emailed my contact at Armadillo Willy's BBQ and he says they closed the Cupertino location in 2018! I guess it's been longer since I've been there than I remember! They decided to focus resources at other locations. Frankly, I'm glad to hear the closure was not related to pandemic issues.

Back