Troubleshooting my new Q140

James St. Pierre

TVWBB Member
Since condos in California now cannot have open flame, I had to go electric for the (3rd floor) patio cooker.

I have cooked with it a few times, and I am not sure if I have a problem. I thought I would post some thoughts and see if anyone sees something I don't.

Pre-heat seems good, glowing element, etc. The power regulator has a light that indicates it is on. The light is on for about 8-10 minutes then goes into a toggling state. I am guessing the probe on the regulator that goes into the grill chamber is some sort of thermostat, regulating temperatures.

Once food goes in, I start to question the whole situation.

I get a little sizzle as the food hits the grate, but the temp seems to drop and the grill doesn't seem to want to recover. The indication of this is when the power unit doesn't kick back on as indicated by the LED.

As things cook the power unit toggles on and off occasionally, but in my initial opinion it just doesn't want to get the heat up.

After a few seconds, no sizzle. No smoke. I can place my hand an inch off the grate with no need to immediately pull it away for 3-5 seconds. Frustrated.

I am thinking I will need to change my tactics a bit. Longer pre-heat. All food to room temp before going in. Work extra hard to minimize lid open time.

Not sure if I have a problem or not. I wonder if I just need to get used to grilling a new way. Any thoughts form the group are appreciated.

(I also checked AC power at the socket. 121Vac without load, 115Vac under load.)

I did call them. While the ladies on the phone were very nice and tried to be helpful, they hadn't used the product so they knew little more what the script told them. They said that if I can add an oven thermometer and check for >400 degrees, they would replace the power regulator.

It seems to be behaving as designed... I guess I am learning some lessons.

The way electrics cook is different in the sense that more energy is reflected vs. direct and the thermostat (the prong protruding from the power unit) throttles the electricity back and forth to maintain ambient temperature inside the unit.

When you set the thermostat in one place, the temp swings about 40 degrees between highest and lowest temp inside before the element comes back on. It takes a couple minutes for this cycle to repeat.

Honestly its use is somewhat like that of an oven with some direct heat since the element is right near the grate.

Build quality is good, operation is consistent once you realize its design, and otherwise is typical Weber.

I like it and I am learning to put out good product on it. Admittedly though if it were legal to use anything fire based on my condo patio, I would go that route.

I like it. It is a good compromise.

Now I need to decide if the temp fluctuations are too much to use that element/controller in a WSM mod.

Back