How do you pull a big butt....in one piece?

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
Restaurant supply co. have 4 1/2" wide x 8" or so spatulas. They end the problem of pulling a fully cooked butt in one piece.

Bear claws are great for picking up large cuts of meat off the smoker. My welding gloves work well also.
Tim

My BIL bought me a barbecue tool set for Christmas a few years ago. He had the best of intentions, but for the most part, the tools are much prettier than they are usable.

At least that is what I thought for years. The spatula in that set is about 4 inches wide and over 7 inches long before the first bend. One side has a section with long teeth cut in it...I assume to be used as a meat tenderizer... and on the other side part of the edge is ground like a serrated knife. I didn't even use the spatula at all until I bought a comal and needed two spatulas at once and thought the knife section might come in handy chunking up carne asada. Turns out...I love the thing. Like the O.P. that long blade is really nice getting underneath a shoulder, and the spiky section will cut loose any bits that get welded to the grill. When I am using my flat top, I can turn half a griddle's worth of fried potatoes with one flip. So, yeah, here's another vote for a long bladed spatula as a griller's good (if not best) friend.

Matthew, in the description it states "Completely washable so you can use them several times." How durable are they?

I hand wash these and similar gloves. Quick and simple.

They are very durable and can last several years depending on usage, etc. I've had about five pairs over the last 10 years--it would have been less if I hadn't lost a couple of pairs in a move.

Note: I'm using these at home. If used commercially, I would assume that they'd need to be replaced much more often.

Last edited:

Back