Successful first smoke

Warwick B (Waz)

TVWBB Member
My first smoke went great!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I had 12 lbs of ribs, 2 x beef and 1 x pork. Took 4 1/2 hours at an average temp of 225. We were both amazed at how awesome they turned out. I used Rudy's rub and basted with a mix of rudy's sauce and ginger beer - because it was the only sweet liquid I had in the fridge. Now my wife wants me to cook for a dinner party
icon_eek.gif

One question about the second cooking grate. It was really hard to baste through the cooker door. I couldn't see anything so I didn't baste the pork ribs as well as the beef. Is that the way it goes or is there a better way?

Set aside the top grate. Do what you have to do with the food on the bottom grate. Replace top grate.

Ok. Then I need to find something to set the grate on next time that can hndle the heat. Is there no danger of losing too much heat from the smoker that way?

I don't worry about losing too much heat when I baste like that. As far as finding something to set the grate on, I use my kettle for that. I just place the top cooking grate right onto the cooking grate of my kettle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Is there no danger of losing too much heat from the smoker that way? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. Especially on longer cooks, that interruption won't hurt anything. Congrats on the cook!

Paul

The one problem with the dinner party is that you need to set some expectations that they may not get fed at any particular time and also plan on starting assuming it's going to take more time, not less. That way you won't be tempted to pull your ribs off at four hours when it turned out that this particular time they weren't ready for six...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug Wade:
The one problem with the dinner party is that you need to set some expectations that they may not get fed at any particular time and also plan on starting assuming it's going to take more time, not less. That way you won't be tempted to pull your ribs off at four hours when it turned out that this particular time they weren't ready for six... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep that's what I'm worried about too. We'll just need to make sure there's appetizers so people aren't starving if the cook takes longer than expected.

I agree with P-nut. I baste using a simple 2 parts apple juice to 1 part cider vinegar, so I use the spray bottle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Warwick B (Waz):
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug Wade:
The one problem with the dinner party is that you need to set some expectations that they may not get fed at any particular time and also plan on starting assuming it's going to take more time, not less. That way you won't be tempted to pull your ribs off at four hours when it turned out that this particular time they weren't ready for six... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep that's what I'm worried about too. We'll just need to make sure there's appetizers so people aren't starving if the cook takes longer than expected. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Start your cook early, use a cooler. When the meat is done, wrap them very well in foil. Put them in a towel-lined cooler. They'll stay warm for at least a couple of hours.

Back