Chile Powder Heat Index

Lee Morris

TVWBB Fan
I have been making my own rubs so far this year and have really been enjoying it so far. Have really liked using various chile powders instead of paprika or generic chili powder.

Problem is, I like a little more spice than the family and some of my friends.

I'm looking for a reliable source for the heat index or Scoville units of various chiles so I will know the best way to tone down or kick up these recipes. I've found a few sites online but they seem to be contradictory at times. Anybody got this kind of info?

Right now I have Ancho, Cascabel, Chipotle, Guajillo, Pasilla, and Aji Amarillo on hand.

Thanks.

like cooking time and temps these heat ratings are a guideline

the chiles can vary, so the powders can vary

best way to be sure is to taste yourself

I've bought chipotle powder that's very hot and some that has very little heat

I started smoke drying my own chiles in the WSM

try doing some habaneros if you can find them ... it's my heat secret weapon when I want to kick something up

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lee Morris:
I have been making my own rubs so far this year and have really been enjoying it so far. Have really liked using various chile powders instead of paprika or generic chili powder.

Problem is, I like a little more spice than the family and some of my friends.

I'm looking for a reliable source for the heat index or Scoville units of various chiles so I will know the best way to tone down or kick up these recipes. I've found a few sites online but they seem to be contradictory at times. Anybody got this kind of info?

Right now I have Ancho, Cascabel, Chipotle, Guajillo, Pasilla, and Aji Amarillo on hand.

Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the same peppers you do along with a few others. Do you have the powder form of these or the whole peppers that you grind yourself? If you grind whole peppers, do you include the seeds?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Elsie D.:
Do you have the powder form of these or the whole peppers that you grind yourself? If you grind whole peppers, do you include the seeds? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks to everyone for the info so far.

Elise,
I have mostly pre-ground powders, but I do have a full bag of dried Cascabel that I plan to grind myself tomorrow for use Memorial weekend. Plan to heat in the oven at about 300 for just a few minutes then remove stems and seeds before grinding. I'm going with the oven method because I don't trust myself to heat them in a skillet like I've read about...I'd burn them for sure.

All this sure is fun!

I'll have to try grinding them. I use my collection mostly in whole form. If there are any other folks out there who grind their own, I would be interested in knowing if you, too, grind them without including their seeds. Cascabels are kind of fun, aren't they? I use them in a shrimp recipe that I have - lots of garlic and, of course, cascabels!

Back