First Cook on my 22"?

d kyser

My 22 inch should be here tomorrow, just in time for my Wed night Turkey Day Cook.

I will be hooking the Stoker up to it, and cooking 2 butts and a Turkey that will be brined tomorrow AM.

My questions is should I use water in the pan or something else. I hear some say they do not use water and I have never tried this. Would like to know the reason behind it and when you would or would not use water in the pan. If no water do you leave it empty or put something else in it.

i suggest using water on your first few runs on a new WSM until you get the hang of using it.

personally i dont use water. it uses more fuel and to me its a pain in the butt. but i know exactly how my cooker runs. there is very little leeway with temp spikes with no water. water is safer till you get more experience with how your particular WSM runs. each WSM is different in how how it runs.

What temps are you planning on cooking them at?

I have never used a water pan, and before I got my DIGIQ II I just foiled a clay saucer (14") as a heat sink and was able to control the temps somewhat, but just not as easy as with the temperature control unit. If you are using the Stoker, just foil your water pan and leave empty and let your Stoker do the work for you.

D, as Ed wrote, no need to use a heat sink with your Stoker. Just set you temp, crack a beer and enjoy.

Thanks guys, this is becoming so fun, I am saving the butts till Friday Night, going to just do the Turkey in the am.

I am STOKED.
Pun intended,
icon_smile.gif

If there is one down fall to a temperature control unit such as a Stoker or even a DIGIQ II is your intake of adult beverages will increase. Can't win, I am getting fat either way I go. If I have long cooks, I drink too many beers and then have to help eat what I have cooked, so I guess I have nothing to complain about.

Thank you, I will have another please...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Cardoza:
If there is one down fall to a temperature control unit such as a Stoker or even a DIGIQ II is your intake of adult beverages will increase. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You aren't using all that time freed up not checking the smoker temperature to train for a half marathon?
icon_razz.gif

Back