Throwdown #28: T-Bone Steaks

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
As winner of Throwdown #27, Peter Gallagher has chosen the next throwdown topic:

T-BONE STEAKS!

This throwdown seems pretty straight forward. Get some nice, thick t-bones and grill them to perfection. But sometimes a simple preparation is harder than it looks, so choose your seasonings, grilling technique, and plating wisely if you want to win this one!

Let's run this throwdown until Sunday, June 28 at 11:59pm Pacific Time.

To encourage more voting in this throwdown, we'll be giving a $10 Home Depot gift card to one lucky voter, so stay tuned for that.

Good luck everybody!

P.S. Remember, don't be intimidated! This isn't a barbecue competition, it's just for fun and friendship! Try it, you'll like it! And make sure to see the simple throwdown rules.

P.S.S. Remember, only 10 photos for each entry! Photo collages (multiple photos grouped into a single file) are OK, but each photo in the collage counts towards the 10 photo limit.

Dem Bones, Dem Bones, dem... T-Bones...

So, the first entry in this category, and my first ever... I'm pretty happy with it for a first attempt, certainly the end result tasted good, so can't really complain... It was a great excuse to shop out some fine steaks anyway! We'll call this Rosemary and Garlic T-Bone Heaven.

1. The ingredients...

2. A pretty simple, tasty marinade... Rosemary, Garlic, Honey and Soy... Blitzed and then bagged.
18180555564_fb36e12ea7_z.jpg

3. Got the grill lit up early, for some bacon to through in the pea salad...
18182502223_02b6c3727b_z.jpg

4. The rest of the pea salad ingredients... To be fair, this is more for the missus, she's a bit pea nuts.. but at least this more creative than just plain ol' peas... Mixed all together and back in the fridge for an hour or three.
18805744531_f7e95e6183_z.jpg

5. Some plain and simple Potato Rosti... nothing but a Grated Potato and salt & pepper seasoning...
18776883016_e0d1e80dc8_z.jpg

6. After 6 hours in a marinading in a zip-lock bag, time to get these bad-boys on the grill...
18776885566_1060838f20_z.jpg

7. Meanwhile... on the side-burner... frying up some fresh, tempura onion rings...

8. With a core temp of 50C (122F) time to let them rest... The honey/soy marinade gives industrial strength sear-marks!

9. While the steaks rest, the asparagus takes little more than a minute...

10. Finally... time to sit down and enjoy... Plating this in any kind of creative, arty way wasn't easy due to the size of the steaks... Best to just crack on and eat!

A massive meal to go with those great looking steaks - Great entry out the gate and welcome on board, Chris!

That is one plate full of great eats. Great job on your first entry and welcome to the forum.

It's been quite a while since I've participated in a throwdown, even longer since I've grilled a great steak.

I started with a dry-aged steak from the store
yHBo10gi86a--J5gMNtCBw2q0FK6OrSg5TVB4EJ9SN0=w1769-h996-no

P9dNPwdyxAsSH26haa7kRr0r8zyzXqKIQOOtuB8cIDI=w1769-h996-no

a little Salt n Pepper
reoCAwKoRl6rioprbMoR-cdwY2oed5MTmOf0xj1HMnU=w1769-h996-no

a bloody mary
W1TQ5z5IkBgB-1_y9fx_-GORo6W4NgcNzLSaR7ARq1g=w1769-h996-no

It sat out for almost an hour while the coals got ready & then the mushrooms/onions cooked
Afy4CIA4atrLcML0rCAlwPcAWVEC6JsJpXa3r4dEeig=w1769-h996-no

I wasn't going to use any smoke wood but changed my mind towards the end
kiVNG_2ApkH6z8BdKSqKrDUbz0nfhYh2nH5fmcIQLRc=w1769-h996-no

G999BtTlgoHNGSx0Bou-UdqdnfJ10oq4tJ8XY0VhPGw=w1769-h996-no

Switched from a Bloody Mary to a Margarita
Lan5fiLQcu4_XbAd_qSwK7NYQd7ANxcDq3x3wisx7uQ=w1769-h996-no

nfOJMa34k_5qwGAsrM3odriWjPZxa8Z2L0ORfMshOTs=w1769-h996-no

I didn't wish I'd done anything differently... the onions/mushrooms turned out great - no butter or oil, sauteed in a little water, worchestershire, S&P, tabasco... the asparagus was only rinsed off & thrown on the grates. Really nice flavor, & the dog got just a little bit.

Not sure if videos are allowed in the throwdowns - I'll delete it if not: https://goo.gl/photos/CGMmVYSJmgYh2xok9

Chris great photos, good looking steak. That's the way this should work, join the group and jump in with both feet.
Clint, beautiful steak, that dry aging really brings out the flavor. Great looking cook, dog looks happy too

LOOKS WONDERFUL Clint! If I didn't see the pkg label, I'd say that looks like a porterhouse ;)

:) thanks. I'm trying to figure out the difference between the Porterhouse & T-Bone to see if I should remove myself from the throwdown - it looked a lot fatter once cooked :) I do prefer porterhouses, "maybe" that is why I chose the steak that I did!

http://www.primesteakhouses.com/tbone-porterhouse-steak.html
"The USDA specifications require the filet portion must be at least 1.25" thick at its widest point to qualify labeling as a Porterhouse Steak. A T-Bone Steak must be at least 0.25" thick. Any smaller, it would be called a Club Steak. The next time you try to decide between a T-Bone or Porterhouse, remember that size is the only difference."

http://www.grillnation.com/2009/love-your-meat/difference-between-t-bone-and-porterhouse
"But in case you need numbers to settle this bet, the good old USDA is here to help. According to their Institutional Meat Purchase Specifications document, the tenderloin must be at least 1.25 inches (32 mm) thick to be classified a porterhouse, while the tenderloin must be at least ½ inch (13 mm) thick for the steak to be classified a T-bone."

Reverse Seared Salt and Pepper T-bone.

Reverse Seared Salt and Pepper T-bone.​

T-bones!

Very simply seasoned with salt and pepper.

First on the OTS indirect heated to about 100 internal. This is after the indirect cook.

Got the sear grate heating up.

Otis anxiously awaiting some steak!

On the sear grate!

After the flip.

Resting on the cutting board.

Plated with baked potato and salad.

Meaty goodness.

Fiorentina steaks for Throwdown #28

Thawed 2 small fiorentines

IMG_4947 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_4949 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

First, dry brined for some hours in fridge.
One went plane just the meat has to speak for itself!
The other rubbeb with Santa Maria Grill Seasoning (great stuff).
Settled the 26 OTG for reverse searing method really low and slow.
Only tow briquettes in a row with 6/7 lit briqs to start. No wood smoke added.
Cooking temp was round 170-190 F all cooking time and the reverse phase lasted about 02:30 hours.

IMG_4972 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9905 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9916 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

Final internal temp was 117F.
Then I moved both to super hot GrillGrates for searing action

IMG_0019 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

About 3' for side to get super grill marks.

The unrubbed one was like this

IMG_0052 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_0063 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

The Santa Maria rubbed was like this

IMG_0051 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_0067 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited:
Hey Clint, leave your entry alone. There is a mix of porterhouse and t-bone in this contest so you're in like flint errrr clint. LOL.

Back