What charcoal to use?

I use Blue Bag Kingsford exclusively but I can't find any lump other than Cowboy around here and it doesn't get the best reviews from most on this site. It has worked great for me and is available everywhere.

Welcome to the board...and your new addiction.

Kevin,blue bag K will give you consistent results. Some people swear by lump. I've used both to great results. Personally,if it's gonna be a long cook(6 plus hours),I like K. For shorter and HH cooks,I like lump. It doesn't say where you are from,so use what you can find. Good luck with the WSM,and don't forget the pics!

Some people use lump only and insist they can taste if kingsford is used. I light kingsford in a chimney with weber starter cubes and have never been able to taste it. Lots of championship winning bbq is made with it too. Its certainly worth a try for its price and consistency.

For me its breaking down to where I like lump in the kettle for higher temperatures and put kingsford in the smoker. Actually in the kettle lately I've even been laying down a base layer of kingsford to keep the tiny pieces of lump from falling through.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Actually in the kettle lately I've even been laying down a base layer of kingsford to keep the tiny pieces of lump from falling through. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Great idea John. Thanks - G

It is hard to go wrong with blue <span class="ev_code_BLUE">K</span> or comp <span class="ev_code_BROWN">K</span>!

When you get used to the WSM try the dry foiled clay pan method with good lump, I use and love the good ole Royal Oak Lump/made in the USA brand!

Wish I would of tried earlier!

Good luck and keep us posted!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back