Chicago Style Pizza...oooops!

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
Well, I spent most of the afternoon making dough and sauce to make Chicago style pizza tonight. I used this recipe.

Prepped and ready.

IMG_2560.jpg

Finally got the dough in the pan...not very good at it.

IMG_2561.jpg

Filled.

IMG_2562.jpg

On. ~450* for 30 minutes. 1 small oak chunk.

IMG_2563.jpg

Ready to come off.

IMG_2565.jpg

And then IT happened!
icon_mad.gif

IMG_2568.jpg

Cut the crust and scooped some toppings on. Turned out very good. It probably would have been too runny anyway (see all the liquid on the counter).

IMG_2569.jpg

That looks pretty dang good Don!
I like to drain my tomatoes in a strainer, especially on a deep dish. On a Chicago deep dish you don't actually make a sauce, you just use the drained tomatoes and crush em with your hands, spread out as a layer right on your pie.
My new favorite is spinach, garlic and tomato slices...
icon_smile.gif

Tim

Cut the crust and scooped some toppings on. Turned out very good. It probably would have been too runny anyway (see all the liquid on the counter).
Don't let on to anyone eeting it, and they'll never know
icon_biggrin.gif
It does look GREAT Don!

The key to solving the "runny" problem is in the recipe "simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened".

Don, you are using a recipe for a Chicago style pizza from Emeril? He is hardy able to just pronounce Chicago the right way, let alone offer a recipe for one of our deep dish pies. Call 1 800 lou togo and order a sausage, or a Lou's Deluxe. Bake it at your place and look at how it is prepared. That will give you an idea how to start to make your own. Leave the pepperoni for the amateurs in New York. Here is a shortcut, use real butter in the crust. Enjoy.

Good recovery! The key is the sauce goes on last. and you use very little of it. While I eat pizza in Chicago on a regular basis, I usually go for their thin crust.

Nice save Don! Still looks good from here! I wish I could make pizza dough! Always just frustrates me.. I am no baker?

Back