Quick question after 1st smoke

Chuck O

Hey guys I have been an off & on lurked for the last couple of years. I have owned a WSM 18.5 for a couple of years but just had the guts to pu it to the tea last weekend. I did a Boston butt & it came out great couldn't have been easier. Only problem is it took a little longer than projected, about 3 hours. I know this isn't an exact science! My question that came out of my first experience is this: if I am only cooking one hunk of meat does it go on the top or bottom rack?does it matter? Thanks

Welcome Chuck!

Glad to read your butt came out great; you did the right thing by letting it smoke until it was done. As to your question; it doesn't matter. I opt to put meat on top as it is easier to work with. What's up for your next smoke?

Paul

When only using one rack the top one seems to be a no-brainer. Easier to access!!
Just make sure to take out the bottom one or you will wind up having to clean 2 grills!!

As for the time.... honestly don't be afraid to bump the heat up if you want to be sure it's done for dinner. Butts are very resilent to heat... Don't let any purist desuade you. Better to have your guests happy and fed on time.

Chuck, it may matter to you where it gets the most heat. If you foil and you want it at the hottest area it would go on the bottom. If you use water in the pan then at the top. If it doesn't matter about the hottest spot well, it's dealers choice
icon_biggrin.gif

Yes I use the brinkman pan filled with water so I would assume I should be putting my meats on the top rack. I appreciate your responses but this board is horrible for me. I already want a Stoker system thanks to all you guys! Paul I don't think I have a choice for my next time out the wife is already banking on RIBS!

Oh boy Chuck, my favorite.
icon_wink.gif
This board really gets you hooked. But the advice is so great and right on. Chris has done an amazing job of coordinating this while thing

Back