Over night smoke on the WSM 1st time using K-Comp.

joe stephens

TVWBB Member
Hey all, good morning from Indiana. I started this smoke at 11pm it is now 6:30am. I am cooking a small brisket using Kingsford Competition for the first time.

I loaded the bowl with an entire 12 lb bag of the K-Comp. save about 3/4 of a chimney which I lit to a burning glow all the way through. Using the minion method I dumped the glowers on the un-lit and the WSM with it's water bowl full of a mixture of apple juice and water was up to heat in about 15 minutes or so.

I placed the brisket on the grates at roughly 11pm. At 1am I topped off the water bowl, waited till the temps re-stabelized and headed off to bed.

I awoke this morning at about 6am and checked the internal temp of the Brisket, it was at about 155*on the bottom grate and 150 on the top.

I re-filled the water bowl with more of the same mixture then checked the fuel. The K-Comp seems to be burning great with what looks like about 50% of the fuel still present. I poked the coals with my trusty stick and it does appear there is less ash.

So far everything looks good. I bought a couple bage of Stubs charcoal at Lowes, later I'm cooking another Brisket and a couple butts using the Stubs and compare the 2.

Joe

Here are some pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/4...t-72157622457477188/

Back