Why you should make your own bacon

Pre cooked(seared) bacon? never herd of that.

Yea its not made with love thats for sure,but then again what is.

I will have to cook up a big batch of bacon soon.

Thx for sharing J

So I guess when a package of bacon says "Hardwood Smoked" it may be hardwood liquid smoked?

One of my main reason for curing and smoking my own is for that real smoke aroma that fills the kitchen when it's fried.

Jeff, that was the WORST video I've ever seen!
I hope I neverEVER see a video how my favourite gin is processed
icon_razz.gif

Or maybe buy some really well-made bacon.

There's a placed called Marin Sun Farms that recently opened a butcher shop at Rockridge Market Hall in Oakland, CA. They're doing some amazing bacon using heritage-breed pork bellies. Fantastic!

Regards,
Chris

That looks like the "ready to serve" crud they have in the stores that basically takes 10 seconds to warm in the microwave.

Honestly I think people would be disturbed to see how 90% of the processed junk is made.

Heck I'm starting to see "seasoned" steaks up here now. Nothing less appetizing than salt water injected striploin!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Or maybe buy some really well-made bacon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was reluctant to start making my own because we have a great local sausage shop that has amazing, hardwood smoked, slab bacon that, last I checked, was 6.99/lb.

Their bacon is still probably better than mine, but I'll never surpass them if I don't keep practicing
icon_biggrin.gif

Yep. That is about how it is done at the plant I worked at. Only one recipe called for "real" smoke and that was recipe not sold to consumers. Everything else was sprayed and cooked.

I believe the time in the oven noted by the video is high. The store stuff these days is half that ~3.5 hours. Cheaper bacon had even less time in the oven.

All bacon was injected prior to the smokehouse. Mostly, the pickle (the injection) was cure, salt and sugar. The premium brands a better (sweeter mostly) pickle.

One thing I did not see was the bacon presses. Prior to slicing, bacon, at just under freezing temp, is pressed into a certain size and shape by a bacon press. That is why bacon at the store is wider than real life; thousands of pounds of force in a press.

As another note, precooked bacon (cooked with a microwave at the plants) is sliced much much thinner than regular bacon. Not a good deal. And prior to packaging, the tips of precooked bacon slices were trimmed (bacon bits). Certain bacon bits are a much better deal at the store than the precooked bacon.

Back