Pork and Beef Ribs

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
Kept it simple and fast tonight. 1 untrimmed rack of pork spare ribs and 2 pitiful semi racks of beef ribs my wife picked up at Wal Mart. Everything seasoned with salt and pepper, grilled indirect/direct around 350º-375º. The corn was de-silked and soaked in water, salt, pepper and granulated garlic.

2009-05-24001.jpg
2009-05-24005-1.jpg
2009-05-24011.jpg
2009-05-24015.jpg
2009-05-24018.jpg
2009-05-24030.jpg
2009-05-24042.jpg
2009-05-24044.jpg
2009-05-24045.jpg
2009-05-24050.jpg
2009-05-24055.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken_K:
Hey Larry,

How long did the spares take to cook at those temps? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right at 3 hours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken_K:
Hey Larry,

How long did the spares take to cook at those temps? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right at 3 hours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's excellent, I was contemplating throwing on a rack of spares I have in the freezer next weekend when I do a high heat brisket on the WSM but I wasn't sure how spares would do at that temp. But as I can plainly see in your pics they did quite well. Your pics are always a fest for the eyes BTW.

Those beef ribs look amazing. I've been wanting to try them, but I'm confused. I figured beef ribs would be similar to steak, preferring a quick cook. Is this thinking wrong? How long did you cook these?

John beef spare ribs can be cooked several different ways and each one produces great results. I have grilled beef spares with great results just not tender but great flavor, have cooked beef spares low and slow great flavor and tender, have cooked beef spares at 275-325 with great results great flavor tender and imo the best of all three ways. The flavor of beef ribs is the best of all ribs even better than pork spares or baby backs imo. Just do not over rub the beef ribs like some people over rub pork ribs, beef ribs have great natural flavor just some good kosher salt and pepper will do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Noe:
John beef spare ribs can be cooked several different ways and each one produces great results. I have grilled beef spares with great results just not tender but great flavor, have cooked beef spares low and slow great flavor and tender, have cooked beef spares at 275-325 with great results great flavor tender and imo the best of all three ways. The flavor of beef ribs is the best of all ribs even better than pork spares or baby backs imo. Just do not over rub the beef ribs like some people over rub pork ribs, beef ribs have great natural flavor just some good kosher salt and pepper will do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for the info, about how long would they take at that temp (275-325)?

John, i cook beef ribs at 250 - 275ºF for about 4 to 4 1/2 hrs. Depending on the ribs, sometimes a shorter time span is needed.
And I like to marinate the ribs overnight in Stubb's Beef Marinade. I then use nothing else.
The results are FABULOUS!

Back