my new sjg

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
well, to me it is. its a old very used one from my sister. the sidevents and rod are gone. i'm not sure i want to spend the $$$ for those parts. i really dont need the rod but i think i might just make my own vents. i plan on using this as the base for my mini smoker cuz folks have been having success with the sjg and its easier to control the vents as i'm in a wheelchair. any extra thoughts ? thanks,

i'm not set up for pics yet. still lookin for the cable's, etc. i'm now cleaning it up. has some rust eaten through where a leg attaches to the bowl but it will be ok with some wide washers. will use ss hardware and will look almost like new when i'm done. wood handle was already treated by me about a year ago. yes, i said wood !

well, its done. except for the side vents. i might worry about the lid locking piece if i feel like it later. took a lot of scrubbing and oven cleaner but now it looks great. also cleaned years and years worth of gunk from the food grate. used oven cleaner and then a wire wheel brush in the drill. not perfect but for what i need to do its more than fine. saved a few $$$. can't wait to try it as a mini smoker.

As usual, a great job George. Let us know when you're ready to fire it up. I'll fire my mini up and smoke something "with you" from 2000 miles away!

Pat

pat, thanks and will do. now to my next issue. the legs go together ok. but the part were the legs come together and are held with one bolt/screw is about 1/8 of an inch from the bottom of the bowl. lookin at the diagrams show a differant setup. i know this is a original "L" setup but i'm wondering if this is in fact correct. anyone with a 89 model ?

Back