Best Grill Gloves

Scott in CT

TVWBB Member
I did search here, but just wanted to see if anyone had some new finds, or recommendations.

I am looking for a set of gloves that I can pick up the hot grates, hot meat, and also use while cutting up the meat.
Can this be found in one pair of gloves, or am I looking at 2 pairs?
One for picking up the hot grates, etc, maybe leather.
Another for holding sauced up meat, maybe rubber-type?

Thanks, guys!

I'll be watching responses to this with interest. I'm forever using my tongs to remove the grates which is a PITA.

I have the Ove Gloves - As Seen on TV
They work good for a quick pick up of grates.
If high heat stuff, then you start to feel heat coming through after a bunch of seconds. Good for picking up top grate placing on table etc and then putting back.

I also have big white BBQ insulated gloves from Steve Raichlen. Good for handling food and pulling pork.
http://store.grilling4all.com/sm8037.html

I got a cheapo pair of charcoal gloves from WalMart but they are plastic and burn on contact with hot metal. Stay away from those. Good for handling chimney but burns if a coal hits it.

I guess I did not really answer your question.
I would be interested if there is good all in one. I have used Steve Raichlen gloves for moving greats but they are not recommended for that.

Amazing, the gloves cost $10 and "international" shipping charges to Canada costs another $46.95. Guess they don't have many Canadian customers nor can they want any..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Elsie D.:
Amazing, the gloves cost $10 and "international" shipping charges to Canada costs another $46.95. Guess they don't have many Canadian customers nor can they want any.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Elsie,

Did you try Amazon Canada?

###

J Pan,
You may be onto something. Have you seen any like that with fingers?

Ralph,
I've seen those from texasbbgrub. They look great for handling hot meats. Can they be used to pick up hot grates?

I use kitchen towels for most stuff I do, whether it is to move a grate or grab a hunk of meat. Wadded up they offer enough protecton and can be immediately pitched into the laundry basket, especially after use with food.

(I dislike any sort of absorbent material for handling food. Too easy to let the gloves sit there on the counter after use, when and where bacteria can grow unchecked, then transfer said bacteria to another surface or food item when the gloves are used next. If you want to use gloves for food handling use those that are nonporous and wash immediately after each use, as you would your hands.)

I would suggest something like these: Gloves

I have some that are similar and really like the full forearm coverage. Granted I am very prone to burning myself so this helps
icon_smile.gif

Another option is to just grab some welders gloves from the local Lowes or HD.

I only use these for the fire though never for food handling.

Scott, I haven't seen those silicone type mitts with separate fingers. That's the reason I didn't buy them when I first saw them. I do like the fact that they are dishwasher safe. I don't like (and don't own) kitchen/oven mitts. I figure most of the mitts in kitchens all over the country are dirty inside. I just use kitchen towels, which like Kevin said, are easy to wash in the laundry. I don't like throwing greasy towels in the wash though. During occasions when I need to handle really hot food such as when pulling pork, I just use disposable gloves.

Thanks for the input, guys!

I have been using kitchen towels and mitts, but I always burn or stain them with sauce, then the ol' lady chases me around the house with a rolling pin after I ruin her stuff!
icon_biggrin.gif

I think I'm leaning towards purchasing a pair of gloves for meat handling and use an old pair of leather/hide work gloves for picking up the grates, or maybe even the grill grabber.

I've read somewhere at this site that welder's gloves would be quite suitable for your bbq'ing needs.

janitorial supply places usually sell heavy duty rubber gloves (think big black and mad scientisty). I picked mine up for 8 bucks at a chinese grocery. They are good for flopping meat on and taking it off if you work quickly. The can also be used for pulling pork. Its probably best to work in teams with the person with the big rubber gloves breaking the meat into muscles, while someone with latex gloves and more dexterity can clean than pull the muscles since they'll be cooler to handle after they're broken up.

another option that's fairly sanitary, it to buy cloth garden gloves, these can be worn under extra large latex gloves.

beware of leather welding gloves, they vary in quality and you need ones with some decent insulation or they aren't worth buying. I have a couple of pairs of leather grill gloves and one pair is better that the others. I'm not sure the brand of the pair I like, but the camp chef ones are kind of thin and stiff compared to the others.

I know Alton Brown is not into UNITASKERS but I use his long gloves for most tasks BUT use the rubber gloves from Texasrubs for meat handling.

His gloves are nice because you can give your hand a vigorous shake and the glove will come off so you can use your bare hand if necessary

The gloves from Texas BBQ are great for handling meat and removing grates from the WSM--don't know that I would try moving the grate from a hot kettle, though.

Elsie--Give Bill a call at Texas BBQ and ask about the shipping. That shipping cost could be an error. He is a very congenial guy. His policy is if you order some rub he charges no shipping for the gloves.

Tom

I use a pair of leather welders gloves for moving the grate, or when using the tongs and utensils.They are used only for the grill and will last a very long time. This pair has been around for 30 years. When handling meats I just use throw away food service type latex gloves.

Back