Cast Iron Grate extra work?

Clay Cope

TVWBB Fan
I had a quick question for anyone with the cast iron grates for the Weber grills. I'm considering (actually planning) purchasing the cast iron grates for my Weber grill but had a quick question. Do you find it difficult or a pain to keep yours clean and oiled? Just hoping to get a quick reality check on how much extra effort the cast iron grates will actually be.

I have been using cast iron on one of my weber grills for three years and have not noticed any extra effort. The little bit of oil I rub on the grate before putting the food on seems to protect the cast iron.

No problems here either. But the one thing I do recommend is to leave the grates dirty when you're done cooking with them. Why? Because it will keep them from building surface rust. Then when you're ready to cook, heat up the grill, burn off the gunk, oil and cook. Good as new!

The thing holding me back from purchasing the grates, is the added step of removing the grates to get to the charcoal grate. That seems like a PITA. Right now I use a Lodge Logic cast iron grill grate that I set on top of the regular grill grate whenever I want grill marks, which is usually just hamburgers and steaks.

The CIGs are a great product and most who have em like em ..... all things are relative, for me they're a PITA. I use the Performers gas lighter to ignite chimneys of charcoal for the Performer, the 18 & 22 WSMs, Smokey Joe, etc. ..as a result the grate is handled frequently; PITA .... the stock Weber grate is a snap by comparison, low maintainence & will yield darn good grill marks too ... just me..others with different techniques seem to dig em
icon_wink.gif

Tell us how you really feel Rondo!
icon_biggrin.gif

I gotta admit though that for as nice as they seem to be, they do appear they could be a PITA. I still want some though ... just because.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Here is the lodge logic bbq grill grate that can be set on top of your regular grate. It works great as I don't use it every time. I got it at Amazon for like $25, but they have been out of stock at amazon for a while now and not looking like they will get them back. Even for $50, this thing would be well worth the cost.
Cast Iron Grill Grate

I too have been on the fence about the CI grates.
Most of my grilling is done on the Performer, and loading/lighting the charcoal with these grates seems like it could be a pain, unless char-baskets are used.

But, I recently purchased a charcoal chimney with gas lighting.
Here it is at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Charcoal...id=1262024294&sr=8-1

Haven't used it yet, but will post my personal review when I do.
I had hoped the Weber chimney would fit on the burner too, but it's a bit larger in diameter.

After using the CIG on my OTG for several months I still like them and use them often. Cleaning and maintenance is no problem, as with any CIG.
But as far as ease of adding wood chunks and turning the grate 180 degrees during a cook, you can't beat the standard hinged wired grate.....just much lighter and easier to handle overall.
I basically like the CIG on the kettle for the cool factor and killer sear marks.

I agree with Larry Wolfe.
As for adding charcoal, never needed to. Started with enough, finished with enough.

I guess it boils down to personal preference.
If using CIGs are a PITA, at least the finished project coming off the PITA CIGs is worth it.
icon_biggrin.gif

I don't find them any more difficult to use than the regular grate, and they cook great. Sure there is some handling and they are, of course, heavier than the regular grate, but not a big deal. I don't spin them around due to their added heft, but I don't think I need to. Wood is easily added either when the coals are lit or through an uncovered quarter. Brush and pam as Larry Wolfe points out here work fine. I like them.

Newbe post-Hello to all. Great site.I must second the suggestion by Andy Erickson on the Lodge grate.I only use it on Steaks, fish, kabobs, and other quick cook situations. Otherwise it stays in it's box, oiled up and ready. Easy to carry to the kitchen.It's much cheaper, lighter, more compact. I'm very happy with it. I think others would be also. Again, love the site!

Thanks for all the post. Definitely things that I did not consider, like they may be a pain to remove, etc. I do like the idea of The Lodge Logic Barbecue Grill Grate. Cheaper, and is portable. Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions.

Back