Any Winos Out There? *****

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
If so, have you tried anything good lately? I'm typically in the $15 and under per bottle (due to volume) range, and I'm always looking for good wines in that price range. Right now, I'm enjoying a 2005 Thumbprint Cellars Schneider Vineyard Reserve lot Merlot. I bought 4 bottles a few months back for $13.99 each, if I recall correctly. I think it's a steal at that price.

And I've had the pleasure of trying some wines from Molly Dooker and Pride Vineyards lately. More expensive, but very, very good.

Please share any "finds" or favorites that you have. My brother-in-law turned me on to a great site for buying wines, and I'd be happy to share it if anyone is interested.

i don't mind a good wine. problem is that its soooo confusing that most folks just walk away. everytime i find something i like, its not around after a while and i have to look around again. now i just don't bother.

Marietta Old Vine Red from Sonoma. A consistently good wine made from mostly Zinfandel grapes. Usually retails in the $11 to $12 a bottle range. On sale you can sometimes get it for as little as $10.

I bought by Performer from ebay a couple years age from someone local. The guy had won it a golf outing sponsored by a local liquor store and did not need another grill. Much to my surprise, when I picked it up, it had two Ravensood logos on the lid!!

ravenswood makes nice zins, and those molly dookers are some lovely wines as well. I'm really a big fan of shiraz and zin: great strong fruit...and pushing 16% alcohol! yippee!

I've done a couple of batches of wine which have turned out just "okay". I'm not a big wine person.

But I do make 5 gallons of mead every year and probably 100'ish gallons "apple wine", or in other words "hard cider" or even "apple jack" (it gets cold around here) and have dabbled in other fruit "wines".

My wife likes wine so any and all inexpensive good wine mentions are more than welcome by me
icon_smile.gif

Wine making is something I've wanted to try. I use to brew beer and really enjoyed that.

I'm no "expert" - but I know what I like, and I also enjoy trying new stuff.

I like to play-around with German whites, and have recently tried "broadening my horizons" with some Spanish & Italian wines.

Slowly working my way through a copy of "The Wine Bible", by Karen MacNeil. It's actually quite enjoyable to read - not too snooty / highbrow, plus you can "skip-around" in it. Some of the stuff she recommends is a little (sometimes A LOT) too pricey for the beginner, including myself - but in many cases, she is recommending some good wines that really have stand-out qualities that exemplify particular types of wines from a particular region.

If you want to learn more about wine, I would highly recommend picking-up a copy.

What timing. At the grocery store yesterday, Ravenswood Vitners Blend Zin was on sale, so I grabbed a few.

Was out to dinner last night and had a Cabernet by Apex. I have to look it up - very good! But I'm guessing 20-25 per bottle. Too rich for my everyday sipping, but nice once in a while.

Jim -

Sounds like we're in about the same "wine league":

I can occasionally appreciate a bottle in the mid-twenties (MY cost from reputable liquor store).

Anything much more than that hits the point of "diminishing returns" - where you need to be more practiced to appreciate the differences.

Prost!

We also love the Ravenswood zin. Another favorite is anything from Layer Cake - we particularly like the Primitivo (zin) and the Shiraz. Both are about $16 a bottle.

A good go-to cab that is under $15 is Liberty School.

Enjoy,

Ray

Jim & others -

If you're into / finding out about Spanish wines, two inexpensive, but fun suggestions:

-Look for a Rose (pink) Cava, usually a sparkling / fizzy wine. They say that the Spaniards drink lots of this stuff for casual drinking & celebrations, and there is good reason for this. It's good stuff.

-If you like seafood, give some Albarino ("squiggle" N-yay is supposed to be over the "n") at try. It's nice and crisp, in between sweet & dry. Goes perfectly with any sort of light seafood - particularly those with white sauces.

Cheers!

This was mentioned before...
Chateau Ste. Michelle, Indian Wells vineyard, 2005, Merlot. A wonderful bargain in the low teens. Costco carried it for a while. Not too big but lots of flavor and balance for the $.

Not a big wine person,but I will occasionally have a glass. There are some great wineries in NC. Shelton Vineyards is one of our favorites. There is a really nice restaurant right next to it.

Back