Why is a WSM so much $$$?

Chuck Yeager

Hello all. First post here. LIttle background on me. I've been making Q for about 8 years, maybe 10. I have outgrown my Cookshack 008 - or at least I need to supplement it on occasion.

I was looking at a 22" WSM and had a heckuva sticker shock! I paid the same price for my CS as a 22" WSM.... and the CS has electronics and has the look and feel of a commercial cooker.

I'm not slamming the WSM at all... I thought I wanted one until I saw the price... I'm just trying to figure out how that price is justified.

Thank You.

Hi Chuck -

I have only the 18" WSM, and haven't cooked on a Cookshack.

I used to cook on a ECB and I was so frustrated I almost gave up trying to smoke and BBQ.

When I got my Weber WSM, I was amazed at how well I could cook on such a simply designed yet wonderfully conceived and constructed smoker.

I guess what I'm trying to say is in response to your question about why Weber's cost so much - my answer would be "Because they're worth it."

I haven't bought a 22" yet because I have two 18" grills and my cooking partner has another. We can do all four meats on three WSM's and a Weber kettle.

I will eventually get a 22" WSM and when I do, I'm sure I'll be pleased - I like the look and feel of the WSM better than the more boxy "Commercial" smokers, but that's just my opinion.

Pat

They also have a very long life and stand behind their product. It's pretty easy and cheap to throw a burner into a smoker, it won't necesarily make it better (although it could when combined with other features). In the price range I think you'll find the Weber to be about the best deal you can get for a charcoal smoker.

Clark

Another reason is quality. I'm not saying that your smoker is not a quality smoker; I'm sure it is. But Weber has a reputation for putting out quality products, and their customer service is second to none. They had a bit of a hiccup when the 22" WSM came out in terms of getting replacement parts to customers, but they seem to be back to their old standards again.

And I second every thing Clark said, and I, like Pat, was amazed at how well I could cook (and how easy it was) on such a simple cooker. I guess Pat summed it up well when he said "Because they are worth it". Most certainly seconded on that point.

Thanks for the replies.

I went and bought a 22" one touch today as I hate grilling with propane. While there I showed my wife a WSM.... She just shook her head, knowing that eventually, I'll get it if I decide to spend the money.

My wife, sadly, is not a BBQ fan.

Reason for price is longevity i have a 18.5 1981 model 2820 wsm. When i clean it up it looks like new. I ran across this smoker by pure luck purchased it for $20.00 dollars in 1999 what a steal. You can not go wrong with a wsm.
Up in smoke deep in south texas

Chuck if it's an issue with the price build a UDS. I did this one for the total cost of zero. There 22" and if you use a Weber lid you can have two to three racks going. Plenty of room on the cheap.
Picture039-1.jpg

I'm a little baffled by how much WSMs cost, too. But I am willing to fork out the money because of:

1. Ease of use. I can load it up with charcoal, sleep for 8-15 hours, get up and have some bbq.

2. Durability. I know it's going to last for 20 years. I may have to replace the grates a few times, or maybe the handle. But the smoker itself will last until my kids have kids of their own.

Another reason the WSM costs more...it is designed and manufactured in the USA. No doubt Weber could do it at much lower cost in China.

Regards,
Chris

Excellent point... I opened and built my One Touch today and when I saw "Made in the U.S.A.", I was quite happy... plus, the directions made sense and I can tell it is better made than a 50 dollar grill.

Originally posted by Robert Oleksak:
Chuck if it's an issue with the price build a UDS. I did this one for the total cost of zero. There 22" and if you use a Weber lid you can have two to three racks going. Plenty of room on the cheap.
Picture039-1.jpg

I need to find out more about this... looks like a fun project! Thank you.

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Another reason the WSM costs more...it is designed and manufactured in the USA. No doubt Weber could do it at much lower cost in China.

Regards,
Chris

I just got my 2009 18" and it was made in Mexico according to box labels...

That said, I love it!!!!!

Chuck I begged, borrowed and stole (no stealing was involved)to try and see if I could make a UDS for nothing or on the cheap anyways. Plus I wanted it to be a no weld build so anyone could do it. I scrounged parts and pieces for months. A plumber freind gave me the valves with attached floor plates,The drum holder with casters was in the recycle at work so I recycled it,the thermometer is from my Kountry Kooker, the lid handle is from a donated old grill,charcoal basket was from scraps I found,and the grates came from a Weber 22" I found on the tree belt,a guy at work gave me the foodsafe drum and even my neighbor donated the high heat paint. Total cost zero. So it is possible to make a smoker for nothing.
Picture041.jpg

Picture037.jpg

Picture038-1.jpg

Picture040-1.jpg

Picture042.jpg

I haven't installed the grates or the ball valves yet. The ball valves will be put on using 1/4" self tapping screws through the attached floor plates.so no welding will be needed. Next plans are for a holder for my Maverick thermometers, dual tables,beer holder,air conditioning and power steering. Good luck.

Once again... thanks all!

BTW, on my One Touch, the actually grill says Made in the USA.... but the box did say something about Mexico... I meant to read it before trashing it, but I forgot.

In the interim, my wife has given the thumbs up for me to buy one in the fall.... I plan to keep looking at craigslist til then, though.... maybe I can get lucky.

Originally posted by Mike Veglia:
I assume you're referring to the 2009 18-1/2" WSM? If so, I don't believe that's true. The box is clearly labeled:

"Designed and Engineered by Weber in Palatine, IL, USA. Made in the USA."

If you can produce a photo showing "Made in Mexico", I'd like to see it. Maybe you're referring to the name and address of the Weber importer printed in Spanish on the top of the box? That's the company that receives the WSM when shipped to Mexico.

Regards,
Chris

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Veglia:
I assume you're referring to the 2009 18-1/2" WSM? If so, I don't believe that's true. The box is clearly labeled:

"Designed and Engineered by Weber in Palatine, IL, USA. Made in the USA."

Chris, I'll look again tonight, the box has been collapsed but I still have it. I was quite surprised, actually, when it arrived and said made in Mexico on the box--I took a double take and read it a couple of times. So yes, I will reconfirm and get you confirmation

If you can produce a photo showing "Made in Mexico", I'd like to see it. Maybe you're referring to the name and address of the Weber importer printed in Spanish on the top of the box? That's the company that receives the WSM when shipped to Mexico.

All that said, it arrived in flawless new condition (no shipping damage) and the quality is excellent. I am still anxiously awaiting my first some (Saturday). Look for wisps of thin blue apple wood smoke signals from over the hill in Santa Cruz!

Lookin' like pulled pork with butts on sale at Save-Mart for 69 cents a pound....

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you are making a bbq out of a liquid storage drum be careful and get a new one. used ones there is seldom a real history of what was stored in it. small cracks can hold some pretty vile chemicals that can be dangerous when heated. one other thing make sure you know what sort of paint or sealer if any was used on the innards not all paint and sealants are safe at bbq temps.

ive heard of folks back where i used to live in texas making drum smokers and becoming ill from the fumes after firing it up. a WSM is cheaper than an emergency room trip nowadays...

Why is a WSM so expensive? Because it's worth it seems too simple, but that is the answer. It will certainly perform better and last longer than a cheap smoker. It is also hitting a sweet spot - it's not as expensive as a quality drum smoker and it's sized right for the average home user. It is built well and let's face it; whether built in the USA or not, quality construction and materials come at a cost.

One reason I bought a WSM and found it worth the money is because of this site. I'm not just kissing up to Chris - this site has been priceless in helping me get the most out of my smoker and BBQ in general. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that some of that expensive price on a WSM should support this site.

Back