Throwdown #26: Tacos

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
As winner of Throwdown #25, Jose Ceja gets to pick the next throwdown...and he chooses:

Tacos!

Make your best tacos using ingredients prepared on the grill or smoker. A corn or flour tortilla that is folded in half when eaten is required. The tortilla can be soft or crispy. No tortilla bowls, no tostadas, no taquitos, no flautas, no quesadillas.

Get creative with your fillings: grilled chicken or steak, ground beef or ground chorizo, spicy pork with pineapple...even veggie options like grilled mushrooms and onions, napoles (grilled cactus), or chipotle-marinated tofu could make you a winner! Considered making a grilled salsa for your taco masterpiece!

Let's run this throwdown until Sunday, April 5 at 11:59pm Pacific Time.

The winner will receive a $15 Amazon Gift Card!

Good luck everybody!

P.S. Remember, don't be intimidated! This isn't a barbecue competition, it's just for fun and friendship! Try it, you'll like it! And make sure to see the simple throwdown rules.

P.S.S. Remember, only 10 photos for each entry! Photo collages (multiple photos grouped into a single file) are OK, but each photo in the collage counts towards the 10 photo limit.

OK... I stumbled across this Baja Fried Fish Tacos recipe in a Sunset Magazine in the waiting room of my doctor's office. I stole it in retribution for making me wait an hour and one half to see him.

Cabbage & Cilantro Slaw – makes 4 1/4 cups
In a large bowl, mix 6 cups finely shredded cabbage, 1/3 cup chopped cilantro, 3 tbsp lime juice, 2 tbsp vegetable oil and 3 tsp red chile flakes with salt to taste.

PICT0579_zpskfwmvga6.jpg

Chipotle Tartar Sauce – makes 1 1/3 cups
In a blender, whirl 2 to 3 canned chipotle chilies, 1 cup mayonnaise, and 1/4 cup each sweet pickle relish and chopped white onion until smooth.

PICT0581_zpsiglf5i4z.jpg

Baja Fried Fish Tacos – makes 6 to 8
1 cup dark beer
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 lbs boned, skinned white-fleshed fish, such as Pacific cod or tilapia
Lime wedges

1. In a bowl whisk beer, flour & salt until well blended.
2. Rinse fish & Pat dry; cut crosswise into 1 inch wide pieces
3. Pour about 1inch of oil into a 10 to 12 inch dutch oven over medium-high heat; bring oil to 360*. With a fork dip each piece of fish into beer batter; lift out& let drain briefly. Slide fish into oil, a few pieces at a time & cook until golden (adjust heat to maintain 360*), turning if necessary to brown on all sides, 2 to 4 minutes per batch. With a slotted spoon, transfer fish to a paper lined baking sheet. Keep warm in a 200* oven while frying remaining fish.

PICT0585_zpshmkjpkfo.jpg

I hand chopped the ingredients for the slaw & tartar sauce because I don' like to clean food processors or blenders. The quantity of the ingredients was less than specified on the recipie because I'm cooking for wifey & I.

A full mini chimney of KBB, a Dutch oven & used the gasser for a warming oven.

PICT0595_zpsceutwbus.jpg

PICT0598_zpsn6gbwyxy.jpg

PICT0602_zpsebkmjbun.jpg

PICT0603_zps32serryh.jpg

PICT0610_zpshjyaxykx.jpg

PICT0613_zps8nkemqfd.jpg

MAS FINO!!!

PICT0618_zps1ldcuam4.jpg

Last edited:
my first time challenge... here goes nothin
Nacho Guaco Tacos
let's start with some guacamole, for a topping.
ZFiWEeT.jpg

diced red onion, diced tomato, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt, pepper, 2 juiced lemons
3NWiOsy.jpg

1qP5hlh.jpg

Grilled pico de gallo
Nlu92Xf.jpg

Ignore the burgers, I make them all the time just to have on hand!
JTJbAmw.jpg

done grilling
uRQZRtW.jpg

pico de gallo ready with the cilantro and lime
Jwe5ESD.jpg

"grilled" taco meat
3QbsFk6.jpg

and plated, meat, shredded mexican 4 cheese, pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, in a nacho cheese shell.
B8syges.jpg

whoN67b.jpg

Last edited:
Simple Tacos

My first throwdown as well!
Really simple chicken tacos/fajitas. Used the gas grill to grill up some chicken breasts and used my wok on the OTG to saute some bell peppers/onions.

Fire up that chimney!

veggies on

Simple put good! Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Ivan, if I had made a batch of shrimp that looked as amazing as yours did, they would have never seen the rest of the taco fixins because I would have eaten them on the spot, they look THAT GOOD!

Here's my entry for Throwdown #26: Tacos. This evening, I did Fish Tacos with Chipotle Lime Roasted Corn Salsa and Sour Cream Lime and Cilantro dressing.

Started with the veggies on the grill and made the salsa

004_zpsxtpt3thf.jpg

008_zpscoav3qi4.jpg

then made the sour cream dressing

009_zpsi6t5ughr.jpg

010_zpsfjw0bmap.jpg

then marinated the fish

011_zpsudgyacbz.jpg

012_zpsxupsmadm.jpg

grilled it

013_zpsfb3vvxj8.jpg

014_zps07hckeiv.jpg

and finally the taco bar

015_zpshxwtow58.jpg

017_zpsmfppdb6n.jpg

I've never had a fish taco before. So I invited my son and daughter to come for supper. They said they were the best Fish Tacos they've ever had. LOL Imagine that! LOL

Thanks for lookin at my cookin. Cheers!

Last edited:

Back