First cook, ribs, studying temps

R. Ryan

TVWBB Member
First cook on new 18.5 WSM. Spare ribs. "Stubb's natural" charcoal via Lowe's. Held 230 for nearly an hour then subsided. Opened two vents full and added 10 more coals for a total of 70 (began with Weber chimney, 30 on 30). Rose nicely to 225 for a while then subsided again to 205. So guess I will try two vents wide open for the long run and see how it goes. Wind is 5 mph variable and calm at times.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(began with Weber chimney, 30 on 30) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Likely not enough fuel. I'd expect the rising for a while then subsiding to continue.

I haven't used <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Stubb's natural" charcoal </div></BLOCKQUOTE>... only Kingsford blue... sounds like you're working too hard to keep a steady temp.
i've held 235-240' steady over 5 hours using MM and KBB.

It's the quantity, or lack thereof. 30 lit and 30 unlit with an addition of 10 after the temps dropped ain't gonna make for stability or longevity.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
It's the quantity, or lack thereof. 30 lit and 30 unlit with an addition of 10 after the temps dropped ain't gonna make for stability or longevity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, thanks. I started with the Weber pdf manual chart for the 18.5 and a full rack of pork ribs, which is 50 coals for Kingsford I guess.

Now, it is chugging along steadilyy at 225 with all three vents open, has been that way a good while. I will keep an eye on coals with it wide open and feed more as needed, this time.

Also this first try my instinct is to wish I had not emplaced the bottom grill, which is not in use. The grill makes it harder to see and possibly replenish the bowl water. I better go find a flashlight.

I'm learning a lot and do appreciate the information and moral support.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R. Ryan:
Yes, thanks. I started with the Weber pdf manual chart for the 18.5 and a full rack of pork ribs, which is 50 coals for Kingsford I guess.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Precisely why it is recommended to put the manual where you'll never find it. If you follow it, you'll be adding fuel many times.

My advice to anyone: Use the manual to start your first chimney full of charcoal and....
Enjoy
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
My advice to anyone: Use the manual to start your first chimney full of charcoal and....
Enjoy
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
lol...instead of newpaper...lol

Ryan, check out the cooking topics section of this website. Chris A. gives great directions for all kinds of cooks.

Take everyone's advice and lose the Weber manual!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Enjoy
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen. My experience on almost all products here in 2012 or whenever it is. I had their pdf manual so instead will double-delete it maybe.

The spare ribs look great here at three hours plus, as I turned them around. Water level holding same as start. Used some mustard and some McCormick "sweet and spicy" rub. Pending my finding of other rubs I have seen recommended.

I think I like the mustard idea, the way the ribs are looking. And as someone noted, turmeric is what makes mustard yellow. And is considered in some circles a cure-all and prevent-all health food. Wal-Mart had an industrial size mustard jar for $1.07 yesterday so I did not hesitate.

Turmeric is also an ingredient in curry powders. I like curry-seasoned breakfast eggs and in other ways so will likely smoke some curried-rub meats before long. Maybe a curried Fatty.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R. Ryan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
It's the quantity, or lack thereof. 30 lit and 30 unlit with an addition of 10 after the temps dropped ain't gonna make for stability or longevity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, it is chugging along steadilyy at 225 with all three vents open, has been that way a good while. I will keep an eye on coals with it wide open and feed more as needed, this time.

Also this first try my instinct is to wish I had not emplaced the bottom grill, which is not in use. The grill makes it harder to see and possibly replenish the bowl water. I better go find a flashlight.

I'm learning a lot and do appreciate the information and moral support. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I pulled the ribs off the Weber after four hours, looking like they could stand at least an hour more cooking. But temperature dropped too low and coals were diminished.

I put the ribs on a baking pan wrapped in foil, after applying a sauce, and put them in the kitchen oven for an hour at 325. Will add another hour at maybe 200 if still seems to need more cooking.

Rescued ribs. And a useful practice. Will be better prepared for the next try.

I usually will not cook without at least a 3/4 full charcoal ring. But I'm usually closer to all the way full. Much more than needed for shorter cooks. But, when you're done, just shut the vents down and the remaining coals will be there waiting for your next cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimK:
I usually will not cook without at least a 3/4 full charcoal ring. But I'm usually closer to all the way full. Much more than needed for shorter cooks. But, when you're done, just shut the vents down and the remaining coals will be there waiting for your next cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the tips.

My first WSM try, a nice rack of spare ribs prepared with mustard and a sweet-spice rub, was the best ribs ever made at home here.

Used too little charcoal and fought temperature fluctuations so I eventually moved the ribs to a 325 oven for an hour wrapped in foil, after adding a good sauce, and they turned out beautifully. I loved them. My wife loved them.

Monday I may do a full load of mixed chicken parts, lightly brined, then something else on the bottom rack that takes longer to cook.

Here is a photo of our cooker, and the bucket where we wash the racks and pan: Where the Smoke Rises

Welcome, Practice makes perfect! With a few cooks under your belt, you will be smokin with your eyes closed.

Thanks for the tips.

My first WSM try, a nice rack of spare ribs prepared with mustard and a sweet-spice rub, was the best ribs ever made at home here.

Used too little charcoal and fought temperature fluctuations so I eventually moved the ribs to a 325 oven for an hour wrapped in foil, after adding a good sauce, and they turned out beautifully. I loved them. My wife loved them.

Monday I may do a full load of mixed chicken parts, lightly brined, then something else on the bottom rack that takes longer to cook.

Here is a photo of our cooker, and the bucket where we wash the racks and pan: Where the Smoke Rises </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FYI, it is not a good idea to place raw poultry above anything else on the smoker. Cross contamination can be ugly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NickR:
FYI, it is not a good idea to place raw poultry above anything else on the smoker. Cross contamination can be ugly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nick,
Not a problem as long as what is under the poultry has enough time to cook so as to pasturize the poulty drippings. What you don't want to do is have dripping poultry above, then pull the item below before the poultry drippings have had time to cook thoroughly. So, for example, if you have a brisket on the botttom with plently of time to go before it is done, chicken above, that will be done well before the brisket, is ok

Back