Clam Sauce

KevinJ

TVWBB Pro
The other day over at my parents my mom mentioned that she really wants to find is a great "Clam Sauce" for pasta. I asked if she meant red or white and she said both. SO I figured I would ask all of you for help. I also asked if she was looking for a sea food type sauce with shrimp in it but she said no. So if anyone have a good red or white "Clam Sauce" it would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin,

If you steam the clams with white wine (or stock)/garlic/herbs, then drain your pasta just shy of where it's done cooking and put it in the clam pot to finish cooking, along with some of the pasta water, that will make a "clam sauce" that's just divine.

I don't know if that's what your mom is looking for but the liquors that the clams release don't really need a lot of extra attention - they're that good.

I'm with Dave.

Sweat the garlic along with a minced shallot or two in some evoo. Very gently. Meanwhile, get your pasta water going (with salt).

Add 1/2 c white wine to the pan (If desired, add a few Tbls of filtered bottled clam juice to the wine (I rarely bother). Put the pasta in the pasta pot.

Add a little thyme to the wine. Add the clams, well scrubbed and purged, cover and bring to a boil. Check in 7-8 min and remove those that are open to a plate. Recover, go 2-3 min more, and remove any open clams; reserve with the others (cover to keep warm); discard any unopened clams.

Add a little oregano to the wine and some white pepper. (Optional, but I do this: Add one finely diced plum tomato, seeded but unpeeled.) Bring to a bare simmer.

Drain the pasta, reserving 3/4 c of the cooking water. Toss the pasta with the sauce. Add half the reserved cooking water and 1 Tbls minced fresh parsley, toss, then add a couple Tbls of unsalted butter, toss well till melted (adding more cooking water if needed). Allow the pasta to absorb, about 1 min or two, taste for salt and add the clams. Let heat through, another min; serve, sprinkled with a bit more fresh parsley.

For a red I do exactly the same thing except that I add 2 cups diced tomatoes (you can used canned, drained) along with the wine at the beginning.

Thanks for the replies guys. I plan on trying to make this for her in the next few weeks and will let you all know how it turns out. Only question is what type of white wine. I do not drink wine so i don't know the difference between them and which one I should use. Chardonnay? Pinot? Sauvignon blanc? Riesling? Thanks and I will keep you updated.

I prefer fairly cheap wines for cooking and for most things, like this, I go with a chenin blanc or sauvignon blanc.

Alright guys. I am doing this in the red version on Sunday for her B-Day and just a few questions. First how much garlic, 2-3 cloves chopped? Thyme & Oregano, Fresh or Dry and a little means tsp or TBS? I am a big fan white pepper so I will be adding that.

As a side note I am planning on also doing some muscles on the side in red for others at the table that may not like the actual claims ,so I think it would be the same technique as cooking the claims but I will add more garlic because that’s what I like.
icon_smile.gif
Am I right about the cooking technique?

Finally, what are your thoughts on sides? I am thinking a lightly flavored garlic bread to dip in the sauce with a side or zuchinni and yellow squash sliced round and baked with some diced tomatoes and topped with a little grated parm.

Thanks again.

sounds like you got it pretty well figured out. I would use fresh herbs. Garlic is always a matter of taste, but that amount sounds fine.

Garlic bread dipping side is the perfect side for this. I like where your head's at.

Post pics!

I'd use 2 or 3 cloves, finely minced or pressed. Do not let the garlic brown - just sweat it slowly along with the shallot. A tiny bit of sizzle, stir often, about 2 min.

1 tsp minced fresh thyme leaves or a heaping 1/4 tsp dried.

Yes, same technique for the mussels. And, yes, up the garlic.

I'd slice the squash into rounds and sauté in a single layer, uncrowded, in a pan in a 50-50 mix of butter and evoo. Med-high heat. Cook undisturbed till the bottoms are lightly browned then flip. Cook till browned again then remove. Repeat with more squash. Lightly butter a sheetpan or casserole. Layer in the squash with the drained tomatoes and season with salt, pepper, a tounch of basil (if desired), and alyer in some cheese. Bake till just warmed through and the cheese is melted and colored. Sautéing the dquash first will add a lot of flavor to an otherwise bland veg.

Thanks Dave,

I am finding that I enjoy the entire process of cooking including trying to think through and put together a menu and not just making dishes that individually are good but don't complement each other.

Kevin, same saute process for the zuchinni? Layered in a casserole dish is the plan!

Yes, same process. I nearly always brown all summer squash - which includes zucchini - first.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I am finding that I enjoy the entire process of cooking including trying to think through and put together a menu and not just making dishes that individually are good but don't complement each other. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hear, hear.

Originally posted by KevinJ:

I am finding that I enjoy the entire process of cooking including trying to think through and put together a menu and not just making dishes that individually are good but don't complement each other.

QUOTE]

I agree. The whole process is wonderful. And when I am chopping veggies, and preparing the meal it is like a meditation in the kitchen. Very relaxing and calming. Of course the wine helps!

Ray

Back