Pork on sale

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
I live in a city of about 100,000 people. Not too far away, is a small country town. It has a nice small, locally owned super market that has an excellent meat department (typically has three to four meat cutters on duty at all times). They have meat from about everywhere, like most everyone else, but they feature local pork. Indiana is really a "Pork State". They may or not be the biggest pork state but they have LOTS of pork.

The market had a "Pork Blow-Out Sale" so we decided to take a drive. Their meat (beef, chicken, and pork) seems to be mostly very high quality and they will cut to order just by a simple request. Yesterday, they were selling Boston Butts at $1.79 a lb. I bought four along with some terrific smoked pork chops (these are EXCELLENT on the grill), some bone in loin pork chops, some fresh ground sausage (make for REALLY good "hamburgers" on the grill) and a few other things.

I came home like I won the lottery. Now, I have thirty some pounds of Boston Butt waiting for a nice day to drop a couple in one of the WSM's for some succulent pulled pork.

Having a "go to" butcher shop is a luxury. More than once I have caught the Boston Butt's on sale and had them slice the whole butt into pork steaks (at no extra cost, I might add). You might want to check around YOUR area - you might find something similar there. I LOVE dealing with "real people" who have a genuine interest in their customers. Couple that with locally grown pork and really nice beef at reasonable prices (they had some really good looking rib steaks (looked to be high end Choice) for $9.95 a lb. it's a WINNER!

The place is Rosenberger's Market in Brookville, Indiana.

Disclaimer - I have no financial interest in this market but would like to share with anyone who appreciates real meat quality at reasonable prices in this day of low quality and NON-reasonable prices...

http://www.rosenbergersmarket.com/

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back