Pork loin question

Chuck Simon

TVWBB Pro
I plan on grilling a pork loin tonight for dinner. I was going to sear the pork loin over direct heat for 3-4 minutes on each side and then move to indirect for the remainder of the cook. Right now I have it marinading in a honey teryaki marinade. Does anyone think it would be okay to also use apple wood chips when I am grilling or would it be better to use the apple wood when I do not use marinade? I asked someone at work and he said that if I was going to marinade the pork, to not use the apple wood chips. Just wanted to get some opinions on doing both. Thanks!

I do not see any reason why not. I do - if I am looking for smoke flavor.

I would suggest reversing your procedure, however. Start indirect then finish direct, if necessary.

You Betcha ...if you're usin the WSM smoker, or the weber kettle...use smokewood
wsmsmile8gm.gif
I smoked a whole pork loin with apple chunks on Sat, finished in a 550* oven
icon_razz.gif

The meat will pick up the smoke flavor marinaded or not, use the wood. But if you sear the roast be carefull not to burn it, the honey teryaki will burn easly, you may like Kevin said, sear it last.

Thanks guys! I will definately use the apple wood. I have never used it before, so I am dying to try it out. Do you recommend soaking the chips or just throwing them on the fire? I will look more into the reverse sear. That is when you sear just before taking it off, correct?

Correct. Whether or not you choose to sear should depend on the condition of the meat's surface after cooking. If sufficiently caramelized it isn't necessary.

When I use chips or pellets I don't soak. I make a 4x3 foil pouch and moderately pack them in, then seal the pouch. I make a small hole with a skewer (maybe 3/16 diameter) and place the pouch (or pouches, if using two, as I usually do), hole side up, directly on the lit. I repeat when the smoke is spent if desired.

Just wanted to let you all know how it turned out. I grilled the loin indirect for about 50 minutes. The surface of the meat was not charred at all, so I decided to go for the reverse sear. I put the loin over direct heat for a few minutes. I went out to go turn it, but the loin was stuck to the grate. I decided to leave it for a couple more minutes so the the meat would release itself from the grate. I went out about two minutes later and it was charred. I guess I should have ripped it from the grate the first time I was out there. I flipped it over and left it on for only two minutes. It came out pretty good on that side. I didn't leave it on long enough though. Also, I should have reversed seared it a little earlier than I did. The temp of the meat was about 120 degrees. I had read somewhere that it should be about 105 degrees when you sear. I guess I should have just let it cook indirect for the remainder of the cook instead of reverse searing as it was a little dry.
icon_frown.gif
Now about the apple wood. I decided to try it out. I was able to notice the flavor and it was pretty good. I had a very tiny pink smoke ring. I didn't say anything to my wife about using the apple wood. She took one bite and said that it tasted weird. Later on in the meal I asked her what was so weird about the taste. She said she didn't know, but that she was getting used to it. She asked if I put anything else on the meat and I just said no. I think I will just keep on gradually smoking things until she gets "used to it."
icon_biggrin.gif

These posts are interesting. I always thought that with many red meats, it was a good idea to sear first to lock in the juices and flavor, and THEN to slow cook. But does searing lock out the meats ability to take in the smoke flavor?

Searing does not 'lock in' juices or flavor. That's a kitchen myth.

Meat does not 'take in' smoke flavor. Smoke adheres to the meat's surface.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck Simon:
Also, I should have reversed seared it a little earlier than I did. The temp of the meat was about 120 degrees. I had read somewhere that it should be about 105 degrees when you sear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you put a loin over the coals at 105*, and you are looking for a final temp of ~145* I would think that the outside would end up burned. I believe that the 105-110 temp to start searing was used by Larry Wolfe in beef cooks when he was looking for a final temp of about 125*. Am I reading your intentions correctly?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck Simon:
Also, I should have reversed seared it a little earlier than I did. The temp of the meat was about 120 degrees. I had read somewhere that it should be about 105 degrees when you sear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you put a loin over the coals at 105*, and you are looking for a final temp of ~145* I would think that the outside would end up burned. I believe that the 105-110 temp to start searing was used by Larry Wolfe in beef cooks when he was looking for a final temp of about 125*. Am I reading your intentions correctly? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya, maybe that was what I read about the 105 degrees. I read so much on reverse searing because I wanted to get it right. I don't remember exactly what I read and where. I just thought that maybe I waited too long on the reverse sear as the loin came out kind of dry. It wasn't that bad, but drier than I am used to.

Back